How can I get my daughter to eat more vegetables?

As soon as she sees any vegetable on her plate she gets upset. No matter what I do I can't get her to try anything. I'm really concerned about her eating habits.

nik_ay209

Asked by nik_ay209 at 7:52 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Kids' Health

• How old is she? Continue putting them on her plate. I require my kids take one bite of whatever veggie/s we're having that night. They have to try it every time, even if it's just a taste. I also make a lot of veggie-based meals. If they want to eat, they'll eat what I fix. There really aren't many they don't like now as a result. My kids are 7 and almost 10.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:55 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Start telling her she can't have them. With my kids, being denied is a great want maker. But you could also look up the veggie hiding recipes online. Or the vegetable noodles to make pasta dishes. Or get the fruit smoothie V-8 and don't tell her it has veggies. They also make the veggie fruit juice by juicee juice.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 7:55 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Those are awesome ideas, thank you. She's 4, and going through her tantrum stages. I've tried the whole one bite/at least taste it deal but she won't buy it. I haven't tried the fruit juices yet, I'll have to put it on the grocery list for the next trip.
    nik_ay209

Comment by nik_ay209 (original poster) at 8:05 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My son will only eat broccoli but the broccoli on the chinese restaurant menu. So if I want him to eat broccoli I order delivery LOL. My son loves mushrooms but only if I cut them in squares and fried them on olive oil or butter with a little bit of garlic. He loves tomatoes only if they are served as sauce with spaghetti. He loves spinach and artichokes only if I served them with cheese sauce. Forget about green salads. He goes "yucky" every time I served lettuce, cucumbers, radishes. I counted the days for him to taste avocado!!!!
    Withthreeboys

Answer by Withthreeboys at 8:12 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Give her baby carrots with ranch dressing to dip in. Don't give it at meal times, give it as a snack while he watches TV. My kids absent-mindly eat one after the other.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:02 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I also use sweet potato fries (baked of course) with my kids. They love them and don't even know they are eating yummy veggies.
    HistoryPixie

Answer by HistoryPixie at 9:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Ugh, don't do the juices - they're loaded with either too much sodium or too much sugar, and the "light" ones have artificial sweeteners. Instead, make smoothies - fresh/frozen fruit, carrots, celery, spinach, kale, avocado (tech. a fruit but oh well), there's a large amount of veggies you can "hide" in them that you don't taste. Also, if she likes spaghetti, make your own sauce - I use eggplant, carrots, spinach, summer squash/zucchini, onions, and whatever else I may have, cook it all up til it's soft, puree it, add some tomato paste & herbs, and my kids prefer it over store-bought sauce - they pile it on top of their pasta, where with store-bought they only like a tiny amount.

Better idea though, would be to let her shop with you & pick stuff out (or grow a garden!), pick the meal's veggie, and help you prepare it (wash, put in a pan, etc) - little things to get her more excited to eat them.
    Anonymous

• One thing my sil did to get her daughter to eat more veggies is she served cheese sauce (melted cheese wiz) on them. My kids love to have raw veggies (carrots, celery, broccoli, cucumber) and dip them in ranch dressing or in a dip mix. I love to put peanut butter on celery--add raisins and you have 'ants on a log' - which makes a great snack.
    You could try pureeing some veggies (or using stage 1 or 2 babyfood veggies) and mix them into foods. I used to mix the stage 1 baby carrots or squash into my kids mac & cheese (it was orange, they could not see or taste the difference), I also would put it in spaghetti sauce, and a few other foods as well.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:50 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Look for Jessica Seinfelds book for picky eaters. She has recipes for veggie purees and what to hide them in, even things like Mac n cheese and spaghetti. Then you can be sure she's eating nutrients while trying to get her to eat the visible veggies on the plate.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 1:11 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Keep them on her plate. In the mean time, sneak them into foods. It takes a little extra time, but it's worth it. And I totally agree with giving her dipping sauce (even if it may be something that grosses you out)
    MedicMommy

Answer by MedicMommy at 7:12 AM on Jun. 5, 2011