15 year old daughter dating an 18 year old boy (who just graduated) should I say "No".

He seems like a very nice, polite young man. Key word "MAN"!! I do not want to be a grandmother........people are telling me that if I say no she will find a way to see him and it will all be going on behind our backs. Right now we said she can date him but can't go in a car with him. She is allowed to date him like she would be allowed to date a boy her own age (he can come over here or we will drive her to the movies) but that's it. No CAR. I am hoping he just gets bored and moves on, but so far he's still hanging around. I am just not ready for this !!!! Can't sleep !!

Momof315126

Asked by Momof315126 at 7:52 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I think you are handling the situation very well. Although I would be freaking out too. Why wouldn't an 18 year old boy want to be with an older girl like him? Hmmm??? I would make it REALLY BORING for him & keep a BIG eye on them!! I would never let them be alone & enroll her in some sort of summer program like volunteering at the Library or something. Keep her very busy & he should really have a regular job, right?? GL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:56 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• yup. she'll sneak around if you say no, that's what i did! haha, i'm still with my husband(then boyfriend) if that helps at all, we've been together since we were 15.. we have 2 kids now, lol sorry i probably made it worse, but hey everything will be okay in the end, and if it's not okay, it's not the end.
    prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 7:57 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• yikes! its smart of you to try and keep an open mind with her.. as teens tend to seek revenge and be sneaky in that sort of way. When i think back to highschool i think of friends of mine who also dated older guys who were going to college and not to put any bad thoughts in your head but none of them were up to any good. I have a much younger sister who is actually turning 16 next month & she has been dating a boy whos heading off to college this yr. They go out to the movies and hang out with friends, meet up at the park to hang out and is allowed in his car. I am sure they are having sex but my father and step mother are in denial. Its smart of you to know the reality of the situation. I think she;ll be fine to date him and long as your monitoring her time with him and where they go.. just watch out if she "stays at friends houses" more often.. and make sure to start checking with those friends parents!!!!
    kp0469

Answer by kp0469 at 8:00 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• oh and in addition.. if they hang out at the house to watch tv in the other room or watch movies.. STILL KEEP A CLOSE EYE & DONT LEAVE THEM ALONE FOR LONG!! ive known people to have lost their virginity with their parents in the room next door.. and people who have fooled around in the back of movie theatres.. i know im probably just making you more nervous which im not trying to but when there is a will there is a way.. just dont make it easy on them to do and get away with!! good luck & hope you get some rest!
    kp0469

Answer by kp0469 at 8:04 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• ur taking it easy maybe he will move on but you will have to wait and see
    diana398

Answer by diana398 at 8:39 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Thanks everyone. Glad to have a sounding board.
    Momof315126

Comment by Momof315126 (original poster) at 9:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• The only reason an 18 year old would go out with a 15 year old is so that he can control her. Plus, he's a fool because if he has sex with her that's statutory rape and he could end up on a sex offenders list for the rest of his life.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 10:54 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I think you are handling the situation very well and very responsibly. Have you sat down with the boy and talked to him about this? Have you met his parents? Maybe you could have his family over for dinner and then you can get an idea what his family is like and maybe establish a common ground as far as rules and expectations with the kids.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 10:30 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Our rule is no dating until sixteen. Shipping her to summer camp for eight weeks helps; as does having her in a very challenging academic program.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:08 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• We have a no dating til 16 rule.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:00 PM on Jun. 5, 2011