How old were each of your children when they began to read?

I teach struggling readers: kids who don't learn to read at home or school like the other kids. So I'm always interested in the huge variety of ages that kids begin to read. Starting slowly doesn't mean that the child will always be behind! Truly, it doesn't. :)

WillRead

Asked by WillRead at 7:56 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• I agree. I have worked with delayed readers, too. My son started recognizing some words at 4. He is now leaving kindergarten at 6 as a strong reader.
    quietsmilie

Answer by quietsmilie at 8:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My two year old is reading sight words.
    Withthreeboys

Answer by Withthreeboys at 8:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I never used sight words. That being said,

1st started when she was 3 1/5 and graduated high school at 15
    2nd was 6
    3rd was 5
    4th was 5
    5th was 6 and has skipped two grades so far
    6th was 4
    7th was 5

So I totally agree with you.
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 8:04 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My oldest was about 5.
    My youngest was 3.
    elliecooper

Answer by elliecooper at 8:14 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• All around the same age, 5/6...well, youngest is only 4 1/2, she'll be almost 6 by the time she starts Kindergarten. The teacher at the kids' school teaches reading in K.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 8:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My DS was about 2 1/2 and my 20 month old twin DDs are already beginning to recognize words.
    HistoryPixie

Answer by HistoryPixie at 9:05 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• 3, but we didn't go out of the way to work on him in any specific way. I honestly think it's just because we read to him every night and Between The Lions came on just before naptime every day, so that was his settle down show. By the time he started at pre-school (3) she was able to put him on the easiest worksheets, and it grew from there.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:09 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Already I love the wide discrepancy! When this post has been around a while, I'll post the results. And again, even if your child is older than the ages already mentioned, you need not panic. Kids learn in many different ways and styles. There are ways around even the most troubling delays. I see it (and help!) every day.
    WillRead

Comment by WillRead (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• 3 to 4 , they could read well at 5
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 9:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My first could not read, only recognize sight words, when she started kindergaten at age 5 1/2.

My second can sound out simple words (-at, -et, -it, -op wortds, etc), and recognize almost as many sight words at 3.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 10:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2011