Do your kids go to a private school? Curious how the lunches are there..

Just wondering for the sake of curiosity. I would have thought private schools, even small ones, would have healthier food options than what public schools offer. DS went to one this past week for a summer thing and had lunch there every day, and I was surprised the main dish was provided by local fast food places. They supposedly had a produce bar, but basically from what DS said it only consisted of one choice of fruit, and the "Veggies" were lettuce, tomatoes, and pickles - to be put on sandwiches or burgers if they had them that day. Snacks were chips and fruit snacks. Drinks were mainly okay. I was just surprised I guess.

If you child(ren) go(es) to private schools are the lunches healthy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Yes, their lunch is healthy, they go to a small private school. I'm guess, they're using the fast food because its summer tme and the ladies that work there are gone for the summer.
    My kids love the food at their school, saying it's been then public school food - they've been going to private school for three years.

SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 8:22 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• No, I don't think so. When I signed him up and asked about the lunches they said that "it's like the usual lunch they have here at the school" and I had to tell her I wasn't knowledge about their lunches.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:25 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Yikes.. Guess I'm glad my kids don't go to that school.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 8:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Oh yeah - their school is still in session, so no, they aren't off on vacation.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My kids don't go to private school, but I did teach at one. Our lunches were catered every day from a local fast food place. We had no salad bar and our fruits and veggies were never fresh unless it was salad day, then it was a huge plate of iceberg lettuce. It's not food I would want my kids eating every day. The portions were small and the price was big.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:34 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• During lent in catholic school they do not serve meat but pizza on fridays.
    geminilove7

Answer by geminilove7 at 9:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• They are mostly like I'd make at home - granted, once a month they have pizza, or mozzerella sticks, or things that aren't so great, but they aren't all frozen, heat & eat crap. The cook will make whole turkeys, shred them up, and make hotdishes, she buys fresh produce at a local grocery store once a week (so once or twice a week they have fresh instead of canned, depending what's on sale), etc. For the most part I'm very happy with the meals. The school is only 60-some kids, so it's all done by the one cook - and the kids LOVE her too, plus she makes a lot of kids' request meals (from a certain grade on up, as part of a class, the kids can all make meal plans, and she'll make those meals at least once a week - so it's a learning thing for the older kids too, what's protein, etc, and making a balanced meal).
    Anonymous

• yes they do and there lunch is delivered daily and it looks delicious and its healthy too
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 10:41 PM on Jun. 5, 2011