Medical Transcription?

I enrolled at an online university to study medical transcription. But the closer I get to finishing the more worried I get that their aren't many job opportunties in that line of work...anyone care to prove me wrong?

nik_ay209

Asked by nik_ay209 at 8:58 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• Well....if the course you r taking one of those certificate programs like by Penn Foster or similar school or is it a real brick and mortar college where you get a degree? Most employers will not accept these certificates as valid and won't even glance your way. I paid about $1,000 years ago in Medical Coding and Billing, Medical terminology and never got taken seriously or got hired in the field.

In some cases these courses aren't even valid...meaning, let's say you take cosmetology and you think you are going to be a cosmetologist once you finish....nope, in most if not all states you are required to have certain number of course hours AND intern hours to qualify to take the state exam and get your license, making the certificate you "earn" just a worthless piece of paper.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Ya it's Penn Foster actually. So it's basically just a waste of time and money?
    nik_ay209

Comment by nik_ay209 (original poster) at 9:15 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Maybe you'll get lucky....but in most cases these programs are completely worthless as far as employment. My take on penn foster and similar "schools" is that if a course can help you personally and has nothing to do with your employment it can be worth it. But those certificate programs are just not going to get the results you are looking for.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:19 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Ok thanks a bunch.
    nik_ay209

Comment by nik_ay209 (original poster) at 9:20 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• bump
    stacy8606

Answer by stacy8606 at 10:08 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• theres like 4 openings for just that where i live......lol and im in rural southwest arkansas
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 8:09 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• But yes, Penn Foster is a real school. ONE EASY way to tell the fakes from the flakes is if the ending of the web address is NOT .edu. my school is cccua.edu not cccua.com or.net or.org etc. but penn foster is legit :) thats how my college counselor basically told me how to tell the difference.
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 8:21 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools. Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.
    Here is the problem with medical transcription and medical billing; as doctors and hospitals transition to (federally mandated) electronic medical records (EMR), billers and transcriptionists will no longer be necessary.

Instead, go to a local community college and get MicroSoft office certifications, especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint; also take a couple bookkeeping classes

Answer by rkoloms at 10:53 AM on Jun. 5, 2011