I would like for someone else to explain this to me, because in 3 days I have yet to find anyone who could. I apologize it's a long story.

I was sitting in a public place the other day with a TV with Fox News on and they were interviewing Herman Cain. There were 2 other people in the room with me and I was half asleep in the chair listening to Cain I assume the other two people thought I was asleep. The two people were older and black and in the Atlanta area. Herman Cain is well known in Atlanta and well liked among the business society. The older black woman says angrily- He's just an Uncle Tom.
The older black man says- He went to college.
Woman-I don't care that he went to college, he aint nothin but an Uncle Tom
Man-But he went to college and he works
The two proceeded to fight until I missed the whole interview but the overall impression was that the man liked Herman Cain because he went to college and the woman disliked him because she thought he was an Uncle Tom.

Why don't they realize there is more important things to be decided when someone is running for President than He went to college or he is an Uncle Tom?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• You witnessed an example of blind dogmatic adherence to ideology in the black woman while the elderly man attempted to assert a conservative utterance by validating Herman Cain as someone that was educated and deserved a hearing. Her history would have been replete with intolerance and racial anger towards whites bordering on pathological while he was probably capable of looking at the world with a realism that would always escape the woman. Kind of like trying to explain the difference between liberals and conservatives to a liberal...it is not worth the effort.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 11:23 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Maybe the black woman was saying he was an Uncle Tom because he is a Republican? Is that what you are looking for?
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I agree OP. Voting is a right, but it has responsibilities that come with it. A lot of people ignore those responsibilities (in the same manner they ignore the ones that come with other rights and our freedom). Far TOO many don't seem to have any idea they have responsibilities. It is scary. Choosing the best person to run our country matters too much to decide who to vote for with no more thought or knowledge than it takes to vote someone off an island or who danced better this week. It is scary (but people will pitch a fit because you were unPC enough to mention it ... or vote down anyone who thinks something should be done about it).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• This is what I was concerned about Farmlady09 that these two people have likely been voting for a very long time they were easily close to seventy years old and never listened to one word the man or Bret Baier had to say they just kept fighting over this Uncle Tom phrase and going to college. It's scary these kind of people are voting to me anyway.

***
    I think the same is true of ALL narrow-minded people. In the Boston area, I was raised to believe you ALWAYS vote for the Democrat, the "Irishman" or the woman candidate...even if they were NOT the best candidates!! Who needs to listen to the speeches, I mean really, has an Irish Democrat ever steered anyone wrong *coughkennedycough* LOL

People who vote based on race, party or gender are the ones who screw it up for those of us who actually vote with our heads and not our hearts!! This is why Obama is currently occupying the White House.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:06 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Uncle Tom is considered a black man who will betray his black people just to stay on the good side of white folks.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 9:10 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• "Uncle Tom" is a character in the book Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe. It is used towards blacks that are perceived to be overly subservient to whites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncle_Tom
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 9:12 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• As far as I know , votes in presidential elections are not tallied by skin color .

It's called an exit poll
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:28 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• OP ~ people argue about those things because they haven't got a clue about the things that are important when it comes to choosing someone to run the country. I watched/heard a lot of the same arguments in SC running up to the 2008 election. Truth be told, I heard far worse.

This is why I think people who vote should have to pass a basic civics (and possibly basic math/economics test). What color a person is should have NO bearing on what their qualicifations are when it comes to being elected ~ but for some people that is the only thing that matters besides the letter they dangle off their backside. That is something I doubt those who wrote the COTUS ever imagined as a problem ... but it really should be addressed imo.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:48 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Everyone has the right to their opinion.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 9:11 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• what is Uncal Tom? sorry, if I should know this..
    Anonymous