17 month old fell & hit her head really hard.

my 17 month old DD fell out of the shopping cart last night. (I know horrible mommy moment, I thought DH was standing next to the cart watching her. I was helping my 4 yo pick out her Bday cake. he thought I was watching her.) I turned around & she was laying on her back crying on the floor. didnt see her fall out, so I dont know where she hit her head. she got a little bump on the side of her head, so Im assuming thats where she hit.
I called her DR & she said she should be fine as long as she doent starting puking & doesnt get really groggy.
She didnt have any of those symptoms last ngiht, but today she has had a fever between 99 (goes down to 99 with tylenol) and as high as 101.8. Could this be a symptom of falling? DH said she had 3 diarrhea diapers yesterday, so Im really unsure if shes sick or if its a symptom of her hitting her head.....
Please dont bash me I feel so awful already.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Health

• take her in

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• better safe, take her in.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 9:19 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• it sounds to me like its probably a coincidence and she's got a virus or something going on now. with head injuries, a bump is usually a good sign. that means the blood formed a clot on the outside of the head and not on the inside. your doctor is right, vomiting, signs of lethargy, confusion, seizing, all that stuff is signs of a bad head injury. you could call again though and explain the new symptoms and reiterate the head injury yesterday, there is always someone on call.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• You can also check her pupils with a flashlight, it's called PEARL and stands for: Pupils Equal and Reactive to Light. Basically it's a check to make sure her pupils are the same size and that they react properly to light. If they are NOT the same size or are slow to react she MIGHT have a concussion.

If you have ANY concerns or worries AT ALL, take her in to the ER to be seen. Head injuries can be some of the funniest things. In this case I would MUCH rather be safe than sorry.

And some big hugs to y'all to. I know how it feels to have something like this happen and be powerless to stop it; even WITH as many precautions taken as possible.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I think you should have her checked,, don't feel bad, my son almost poked his eye out falling on the corner of a very hard pillow,, I know stuff happens, but just to be safe it wouldn't hurt, as PP said!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• take her to her doctors or er.. if it's head related it needs to be seen asap.. if it's just symptoms of a virus they can also help with that as well.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:16 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• and things happen, i remember when my dd was 18 months and was chasing the cat, wasn't watching where she was going and ran head first into the table. had a nice goose egg from that. but kids are kids.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My ds got a skull fracture at 10 months old falling off the steps. I was at work, he was a very early walker and just fell off the 2nd step. He had NO symptoms. He eventually had a mushy bump on the side of his head, behind his ear. But he was just as happy and normal as ever. He ended up hospitalized for 3 days, 24 hr observation and the rest was a CPS hold while they figured out why we didn't bring him in sooner. Luckily we had took him to his ped and he cleared up the mess telling them we did exactly as we were told. So better safe than sorry.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 11:37 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• feel bettertake her in.

deniseh1973

Answer by deniseh1973 at 8:15 PM on Jun. 5, 2011