Still dealing with the argumentative toddler! Haha (Eeek?)

Many of you gave me great advice re: how to deal with my argumentative preschooler the other day. I've started responding, "No" and if she argues, saying, "You heard my answer" and walking away.

It works, I guess. The problem is, she's taken to screaming bloody murder and jumping up and down when this happens. Haha! It wouldn't be an issue except we live in an upstairs apartment with a SUPER cranky guy downstairs. We've lived here a year and a half and he *still* complains about everything under the sun.

Are there any different tactics I should try, or is Downstairs Dude just going to have to deal with it until she gets out of this phase?

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 9:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Try saying "im not going to let you..."

I read an article about this somewhere today (sorry, no link) and I have tried it out a few times today. It seems to help a little, but its hard for me to break the habit of arguing with my 3 year old son all day. Good luck to you. I feel your pain.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• UGH! I'm right there with you. My daughter is 4 (turned 4 in March) and thinks she an adult already. When I've had more than enough I use the "I didn't ask you to argue with me I told you to____________. Now DO IT" card. She'll stomp. She'll scream. She gets ignored. It has SLOWLY been getting better since March but there are still those days where I just want to scream and duct tape her to the ceiling, or hang her up by her toenails.

I think Downstairs Dude is just going to have to deal with it.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:35 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Children cry, yell, stomp on the floor, throw things, push, kick etc. They all do it out of frustration. They eventually learn to express their feeling in a more appropriate way.
    Withthreeboys

Answer by Withthreeboys at 9:45 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I agree with Withthreeboys, but I also punish my 3 1/2 year old when he does this, he goes into his room for a time out, and I ignore him. He doesn't get any treats or special things the rest of the night. I know that my son understands that this is not acceptable. He's learning, but still has meltdowns. My neighbors downstairs, who are kind of like yours, just have to deal with it as I'm not violating any of the apartment rules. You could try talking with managment and explaining the situation if you are afraid his complaining will get you in trouble.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:00 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Downstairs dude is going to have to deal..sorry, but when you have kids and live upstairs, it's to be expected that you hear the piter patter of feet..we lived in an apt that had people/kids running so hard that it seemed like our ceiling fans would fall out.

As far as your child, idk what to tell you other than what we do. We very recently started taking things away from dd, who's 3. She wasn't listening to us the other day when we were getting ready to go somewhere, so we told her if she kept up with the fit then she would loose going bye bye..fit started up and got worse after we warned her again, so she lost out on going anywhere that day. It caused a semi fit for another 30 min, but it got the point across (when I tell her no, she'll scream at me "you can't tell me no..it's a big no no word")..once she calmed down I explained that she cannot act like that and made her apologize to us. She got to go, but no more fits. Gl
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 8:53 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Contd..
    My dd is very argumentative, so when she starts in we take stuff away..that being said, we pick our battles..slowly, with us taking things away for her to learn, she's learning that she's not the boss..even though she still tries to act like it alot
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 8:57 AM on Jun. 5, 2011