What strategies are most helpful to you when dealing with teenagers with big mouths and lots of attitude?

16 yr. old bipolar female

momto3again

Asked by momto3again at 9:20 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Chores and lots of them. Keeping them really busy, and no privacy. We also demand respect, and there are consequences for their actions. (That would be more chores.)
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:23 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Great question.
    geminilove7

Answer by geminilove7 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• If your daughter is really bi polar get her into counseling and medication. I am a mom of teenage daughter and I have learned not to feed into their drama. When they get mouthy its okay for the parents to walk away and not feed into that. Girls are full of hormones, although neither of my daughter arebi polar they sure had their moments. I would let my daughters know its not okay for that behavior and when they decided to be respectful come talk.  I use to feed into the drama and argue back, if they said something mean I would say have something to say.  I learned by changing my behavior their behaviors changed for the positive.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 9:29 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• You probably know and are having her see a good psych doc and counselor. Clear boundaries and expectations are very important.

ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 9:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I agree with pp. Medication can help. I know someone who started taking the medication. The medication helps to regulate the chemical imbalance in the brain.
    Withthreeboys

Answer by Withthreeboys at 9:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Yes she is on meds and is in counseling. Personal, group and family. I guess my question was really How do you tune out the button pushing, loud arguing and disrespect without losing my mind?
    momto3again

Comment by momto3again (original poster) at 9:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Are there any activities that she enjoys. Sometimes if the two argue too much is better to spend some time apart. Can you enroll your dd in swimming classes or any kind of activity that she would like. Instead of loosing your mind trying to figure out your dd. Why not taking a break from each other?
    Withthreeboys

Answer by Withthreeboys at 9:51 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Just like toddlers that have tantrums the most important thing is that THEY know what the consequences are before they act write it down if you have to.... Start by making sure to reward her for the positive things she does...if she talks back or misehaves start with taking away small things cell phone the internet weekend privileges...then the more extreme any electronis or play things tv...and last resort the bedroom door ...tell her you love her but if she was an adult and acted this way towards authority she would be in jail hand her a book and tell her your just letting her know what shed be in for
    Anastacia1988

Answer by Anastacia1988 at 10:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I was a high school teacher prior to becoming a 911 dispatcher. If it's one hing I've learned with teens and attitudes in general is that more often than not they really aren't that upset with you but rather the situation. My advice is to not take anything personally and make sure you are in control. Make consequences very clear and be consistant.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 10:26 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Great book called "getting to calm". It helped me a lot !! ITs strategies on how not to get tangled up in their drama and where and how to draw the line. Great book!
    Momof315126

Answer by Momof315126 at 12:44 PM on Jun. 5, 2011