Child who would only say single words. Tips wanted on how to improve vocabulary?

3 yo child still not putting words together to form a sentence. Do you have any ideas to help the child to start expanding his vocabulary.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Call your school district and ask if they have any speech programs for children who live in the district. When my daughter was three I called our school district office made an appointment with a speech therapist. She was put in a speech program once a week for half an hour. Once she started kindergarten she was pulled of out class twice a week for 20 minutes for speech, my daughter was in speech until she was in the third grade. Its a free program and my daughter no is such a great talker you never would know she was in speech.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 9:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• i would speak to the doctor. good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:29 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• read a lot of books. Ask him to describe things that he is looking at. I would think that the pediatritian would have raised flags about this around possibly 2 year and for sure three year check up. good luck.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:31 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Speech therapy was provided for 6 months to later be discontinued because the child didn't qualify for the services no justification was found to let the child continuing receiving the therapy.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:55 PM on Jun. 4, 2011