The benefits of Hell.

I wondered if there were believers who thought teaching their children about hell and damnation had benefits? I'm sure the obvious response will be, the benefit of knowing about it will prevent them from taking actions that will take them there, but as mentioned in NotPanicking's Hellthread, no one really knows what gets you there, who goes, if it exists and where it is.

Maybe the benefits of teaching hell and damnation is sort of like teaching your kid, you better be good, or Santa won't come, only a billion times worse.

Do you think there are parents that use the Hell card as a tool? Do you think there should be a law against it? 

What are the benefits of this metaphorical place called Hell 

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Religious Debate

• You have got to be joking- your ego is getting the best of you-REALLY- this is where you are now in your "quest for understanding and debate"?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:28 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• A law against "it"? You are asking if, in a country where freedom of religion is basic, it should be illegal to teach your religious leanings to your own child, right? No, it shouldn't.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:27 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• asking if there should be a law against it does not mean that I think there should be a law against it. --

and i didn't imply you thought there should be.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:48 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• "....I do not want the government ANYWHERE NEAR my religion or my child rearing!!"

Funny....yet conservatives want all kinds of laws made based upon THEIR religion. Hypocrite.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:12 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• there are no benefits, especially not for those who believe the metaphorical hell (i.e. fire and brimstone) is as real as candyland. i will say though that using hell as a fear tactic to get your child to behave the way you want is not only unchristian-like but piss poor parenting.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I do beleive some parents use it as a threat just like some churches do, and some religious people do. I beleive for the most part it is use to try and keep people doing what is socially accepted by what they falsely beleive is the majorities beleifs.. I think laws is a little to far though I do beleive there should be more regs on door to door preaching and street preaching.
    >>>>
    No one has in my 48 years, ever told me that I was going to hell. Not that my behaviors at times,didn't warrant it.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:09 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• "A law against it.....you must be a liberal! LOLOLOLOLOL!!! More laws...more regulations....I do not want the government ANYWHERE NEAR my religion or my child rearing!!"

That makes no sense. Why would a liberal want a law against a religion?
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I have seriously never heard of liberals wanting control over every aspect of our lives. Where do you get that shit? Fox News?
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 2:59 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I don't believe i nHell, so Idon't see wh yI should teach my children about something I don't believe exists in the first place. I see no benefit whatsoever in shaping their behavior through threats of something I don't believe in.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 5:06 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I believe that kids should be taught about hell, but not until their older and can fully understand the concept. It definitely shouldn't be used as a "do something bad and go to Hell" tactic. I believe we should teach our children the benefits of doing good and going to Heaven; look at it as a "half glass full" approach. But however and whatever is taught, it should be supported with scriptual evidence from the Bible.
    HeatherLeigh

Answer by HeatherLeigh at 10:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2011