Peeing pants

my daughter isin first grade and has peed her pants atleast 5 times this year. i have her go to the bathroom when she wakes up and after lunch at school, but sometimes she forgets at lunch because no one reminds her. could it just be that she is so involved in what she is doing that she holds it too long or is there possibly other reasons. she was never a bed wetter and picked potty training up instantly. and there are cases when she pees her pants right in front of the toilet cause she just cant hold it 2 more seconds or something. any ideas ladies?

wifey000175554

Asked by wifey000175554 at 10:15 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Has she ever had an issue in the restrooms at school? My grandson did this a lot this year at the beginning of 1st grade. I found out some of the other boys were teasing him because he pulls his pants all the way done. We made arrangement that he could go potty in the nurses office and had no issues after that. My grandson also has others learning and medical issues. But teasing was the cause of the peed pants.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:20 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• her bladder might not be as mature as the rest of her body. I had this problem for a LONG time. It was horrible. My parents didn't do anything to help me. I actually even peed my pants when I was a freshman in highschool (while at school... horrible!!). I wet the bed pretty regularly until I was about 12 or 13 too...

I don't know if this is what your daughter is going through. I remember "waiting" by resting with my crotch on my heel (crouched down- like to "hold in" my pee). If your daughter does this then I would see that as a sign of underdeveloped bladder. I don't know what advice to give, maybe buy some cloth underwear that have a built in absorbent lining in case she has an accident coming. Talking to a dr. might also be a good idea. Good luck! Also, dont' ever make her feel like she is doing it on purpose- she probably isn't and is really embarrassed about it.
    Anonymous

• Is your dd shy? Sometimes its a big deal to ask a grown up that is not your parents to go to the washroom. She might just be too shy to ask? I remember when my younger sister was in kindergarten, she was too embarrassed to ask to go the washroom, so she peed in her pants once. If thats the case I would have a talk with the teacher.. maybe she could gently remind her?
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 10:38 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My son went though this and so is my daughter. They bot just get so invovled in what is going on around them and do not want to miss a second so they ignore that they have to go potty until it is too late. Hang in there, it will get better.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:47 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Maybe talk to her teacher about it. Her teacher could remind her to use the restroom if she knows there's an issue.
    KamiB79

Answer by KamiB79 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• At age 5, she's probably just waiting too long and her bladder might have some growing to do. I wouldn't be too concerned since you said it happened 5 times in a whole school year. With only days left in the school year, it's really late to be doing something about it now. If it continues next year, you should think about having her checked for medical issues. She may just need a strict timed voiding schedule.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 6:35 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• If this has just been an issue at school, I'd tend to think she is just too shy to ask to go. You could also check to make sure she doesn't have a UTI, but if it's only at school, that's not likely.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:56 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Maybe it comes from stress?
    iam4you2

Answer by iam4you2 at 9:09 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• If its only a school thing then she may just be getting distracted but if its at home also she may have some medical issues.
    aj23

Answer by aj23 at 11:19 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• She might just be so busy in playing, she doesn't think about it. is it only happening at school?
    heathermichelle

Answer by heathermichelle at 12:20 AM on Jun. 6, 2011