Anyone have a shelter dog? how did you bring it home with your kids without worrying that it would harm the kids? I worry about the dog's history and having that be an issue with small children. And for the record I don't intend on leaving my kids alone with the dog, but things can happen even if I am supervising all the time. thanks!

stacy8606

Asked by stacy8606 at 10:34 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Pets

• Most shelters (Humane Society) will list if the pet is good with children.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 10:40 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I have always had shelter dogs and they have been the best pets!!!!!
    kaedrasgma

Answer by kaedrasgma at 10:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• good to hear- thanks ladies!!
    stacy8606

Comment by stacy8606 (original poster) at 10:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• We have a rescue dog that we acquired about 2 1/2 yrs ago and she fit in very well. When you go to the shelter, ask if the dog has been socialized, or around kids. They usually will run a series of tests to see if the dog is compatible in certain situations, like kids, other animals, etc. Ask a lot of questions, like what they've been doing with the dog, what situation the dog came out of etc. GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Have my 1st one from the shelter!! I took my child with me to the Humane Society, and they allowed us to play together outside,, I also got a small dog, and now Spooky is my son's best friend,,
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:58 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I have never worried about it. I have fostered animals since before my daughter was born. She has been raised around many animals with sad stories as well as an unknown history. I know how to read dogs so I know if I need to be concerned or not. Many shelters test the dogs so they are able to put you with a dog that is good with kids.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:23 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Watch the dog interact with the children prior to adoption. Dogs aren't good at hiding their nature. If a dog is good around kids, they will be from moment #1 - likewise if they aren't kid-friendly. They aren't savy enough to "fake it" for a potential interview!

We took our boys with us when adopting a shelter dog. The one that loved them the best was the one we took home. It's been working great for a couple of years now.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:24 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• We got a 4 year old lab from the shelter last summer. I too was concerned how he would be with my 2 yr old grandaughter. I stayed very close by and observed him around her for a long time. He is very gentle with her so I imagine he came from a home with small children although he was a stray and they had no background on him.
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 11:45 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I have never had issues with rescued dogs. I have been in rescue for years and I have been more worried about my cats with the dogs than I have the kids with the dogs.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 12:15 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• A truly good shelter will allow you to bring the kids with you and give you time in a room with the dog and your kids, as much time as you need. Most will also allow you to give the dog a trial at a local park or in your home. All of that being said, if you feel the dog is a danger to your kids don't adopt them and only adopt from a shelter with a good reputation that will tell you up front if the dog is not good with kids and other animals. Good shelters do a great deal of evaluating on their dogs before re-homing them. If you ask for a trial run either at the shelter or your home and they don't allow it, run the other way. Never leave a new dog of any shape, size, or breed alone with your kids because you just never know even after a trial. Use a kennel.
    jandshyne

Answer by jandshyne at 1:50 AM on Jun. 5, 2011