Dying your childs hair?

How young is too young? ...my daughters father is from morocco and he puts henna in her hair when he has her ...she's 3 I don't mind its semi permanent..it makes her happy because she thinks she looks like barbie and its a part of his culture....I've gotten smart remarks from some friends ...why is this so taboo? Just wondering :)

Anastacia1988

Asked by Anastacia1988 at 10:34 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• How is this any different than painting their nails or worse, piercing their ears which IS permanent?

I see nothing wrong with it even if it's permanent. It's just hair and will grow out.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Well intially I was thinking no way, as chemicals are so bad for kids hair, but when I read it was henna, at least it is natural....I have used it once before. I have a 3 year old and I wouldnt think of altering her hair in anyway at this stage.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 10:38 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• ~*Smiles*~.... I would think that if they know you, they accepted her father and his culture... why are you getting remarks?

And I personally would rather see a minor child doing things of that nature (they learn by trial and error from peers), while they are young enough to do so... before they enter the real world, have to have a job, or other functions where a grown adult is not supposed to have odd colors? And why we don't stop our kids if they choose to color (they haven't yet)
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:47 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I agree with Princess s21. It's natural and part of here culture! The remarks from friends, educate them. And maybe talk to your daughters dad about other things that are cultural before he does them.
    chris219

Answer by chris219 at 10:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• No biggie to me, now if you were bleaching or using a harsh chemical there might be a problem, but henna is all natural, and she likes it ,,, that would be the biggest point to me!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:51 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I just asked my dh this about my 6 yo, I was thinking about highlighting her hair over the summer. So long as you don't mind, I say tell your friends to shove it.
    MomNtheRes

Answer by MomNtheRes at 10:52 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Yeah her father knows I'm very open minded about things and he did wait until halloween the first time to try per my instruction haha ...when we were together his mother would send me some in the mail and it just gave my darker hair a red glow I tell my friends to mind the biz because the only reason why they have some kind of preconcieved notion of how society sees this ....but yet when its a little boy with a blue mohawk they think its cute ugh! Haha people and its a good point that for kids that choose what they wanna do to their hair is good before they get out in the real world ... Its nice for them to have their own personality and have their own sense of what they're identity is...at the same time important for them to know its not everything
    Anastacia1988

Comment by Anastacia1988 (original poster) at 11:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• henna is ok with me. any other chemical dyes.....no way
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 11:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• If its a cultural thing then I think its fine as it is not permanent. I would never dye my dd's hair until she was old enough to want it done herself & maintain it if it was extreme. I'd keep it "virgin" hair as long as possible. Kids grow up so fast & later on they will be doing a ton of things to it just as we did. Ya, your friends should keep their opinions to themselves : )
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 11:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My DDs are blond. They were in the other room and VERY quite for a VERY long time. They decided to "Color" their hair.....with permanent markers. It stayed that way, blue and green and red, for a week! So...I no think it's fine, as long as it makes them happy and doesn't scorch their hair. Tell everyone else, you know what just stick out you tongue, call them jealous and walk on ! ;)
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 11:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2011