Monitoring your children.

My daughter turned 15 yesterday, and her best pal brought her back stage to the Weenie Roast ( A concert here in Los Angeles that features a bunch of main stream rock bands, sponsored by a popular radio station KROQ ) today, for her birthday. Right now, Bad Religion is on stage, and she sent me a pic of them on stage. Their back drop is a giant picture of this..

If you were in the audience, would you be offended? Would you allow your kid to go to this concert?

Do you monitor the music that your kids listen to? 

Would you be against your kids to listening to bands like Bad Religion or Godsmack simply because of their name? 

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 10:34 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Religious Debate

• If I felt threatened by my child's choice in music, I'd take a look at my own values as a parent. Am I creating my clone, or an individual free to choose their own faith? If your child is over 12, you should no longer be censoring their music or literature. How can they become self-sustaining adults if you tell them what is and isn't okay to think? If they're under 12- you still shouldn't censor. However, at those ages you could listen to and/or read with them. This allows for discussion on the moral points and dilemmas of the content. As for that specific background, I'd be more worried by my child's poor music taste. it's a bit classless to show such things, but not particularly offensive to me personally. They're trying to get a rise out of people. That doesn't make them goat-sacrificing satanists.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 7:59 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I probably wouldnt let my 15 year old go to a back stage concert for anyone, it wouldnt matter who was playing.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 10:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My kid listens to Otep, Amon Amarth and Wolves Under Sail when he's in the car with me. Bad Religion is a bit tame for my taste, but if he insisted, I suppose I could tolerate it. Beyond that, I don't think my son is so easily brainwashed that a concert or a band icon would alter his religious outlook.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:48 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Luckily, my kids are still at the age where that means I just give Barney and Barbie the death glare on a regular basis.

I strive for tolerance, but I am imperfect. We had a Barney-free home. My condolences on your suffering.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My goal is to raise culturally literate, independently thinking, critical and intelligent human beings. That means letting them listen to music, read books and watching movies whose message I don't necessarily approve of, at an age where they are able to use that grey stuff between their brain to think about it, and maintaining an environment where it can be discussed openly.

Luckily, my kids are still at the age where that means I just give Barney and Barbie the death glare on a regular basis.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 11:02 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I'll leave the back-stage part alone.

A 15 year old, I think, is old enough to experience a lot of music that is out there. This is the age when they are learning about the world, about how human adults interact, and about artistic expression. I would not (and will not) restrict the types of music my kids listen to when they are that age. I will take an active part in parenting them through their musical choices - I will listen to the stuff they like, I will discuss musical quality and lyric content with them, and we will talk about what feelings are stirred by that music. There is no way will I turn down the educational moment provided by an image like the one posted in the OP. Life is meant to be experienced - I want to teach my kids how to responsibly experience life, not restrict them from it.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:20 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• The only music I censored was that stupid Barney crap and anything along those lines. Well, okay, and stupid romantic crap. He could listen in his room but it was NOT to be played where I could hear it. Fortunately, the boy liked hair bands and the rest of my music.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:16 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My three year old hangs out with guys in a local death metal band. They are awesome guys, I feel completely safe letting her be around them. They are some of the nicest guys I have ever met actually. I used to judge people who make and listen to music like that...then I met my fiance and was actually exposed to it instead of just believing what others said. Let me tell you, the terrible stereotypes are completely and utterly wrong. I actually feel bad that she won't be able to go to most shows until she's old enough to drink cause most are in bars. Even at 3, her favorite band is metal, and that's HER choice (it actually annoys me sometimes, but she demands it! LOL)
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:45 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• LOL I just had a flashback of my mom in the 80's, went to move my sisters car and an NWA tape was blaring. She brought the tape inside and pulled it all out of the cassette while me and my other sister just laughed. hehe
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 11:53 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Your post reminded me of how my Dad forbid me to have the Devo song "Whip It" . I went out and bought it that weekend.

J. Giles Band's Freeze Frame album (the same one Centerfold was on) had a song on it called "Piss on the Wall". My aunt refused to buy it for me for Christmas and said as much in front of the whole family. 10 minutes later I open a present from her older brother...guess what's in it? That was one of the more interesting holiday discussions from my childhood. Moreso now looking back that she had issues with that one, but NO problem at all with a song about a guy finding his high school sweetheart in a Playboy centerfold and what other guys were doing when they looked at it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:13 AM on Jun. 5, 2011