Questions about weaning off of a bottle

So today was the first day I've started the weaning process. So far my little guy hasn't had one bottle! I've been giving him his milk in his cup instead of a bottle and he hasn't cared one bit. The problem is, he will only drink out of a sippy cup that has a built in straw. My question is, is that okay? He has to suck on the straw too so is it like a bottle?

Another question is, night time feedings. How do I go about stopping those?

Now the big question! My baby is completely attached to his binky. He may not throw a fit for a bottle, but he does for his binky. any tips or advice???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think the straw cups are ok, but you should teach him how to drink from a regular cup as well. Even ones with no lid. I would give him his milk from a cup with a straw and if he is old enough for juice or water, give that in a "big kid" cup.

If he is still taking a night time bottle, I would still offer it to him in a cup. He may want it less because its more work that relaxing.

For the binky......when it was time for me to wean from a bottle or binky, I just got rid of them. Same thing with potty training, lol. I just got rid of the temptation for me to give in to my kiddos and that way, even if they whined and cried, we both had no choice but to get use to it. So thats what I would do. Just get rid of the binkys all together. I've heard of people cutting the tips off so they can't suck on it too. I never tried it though.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 11:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I would wait though to take the binky away until he is use to the no night time bottle though. That way you both can get some sleep ;)
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 11:08 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I agree to just take away the bottle and binky. I would however do it at once. I would bring him to buy a "special big boy sippie cup" ... and maybe make sure he is full before bed, that way the night time bottle feedings shouldn't be a problem if he's full.
    mommasboys2926

Answer by mommasboys2926 at 11:57 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Thanks ladies. He is 3 days bottle free!!!!!! I have taken CJM_SHM's advice and haven't taken the binky away yet. Maybe in the next month when he is nice and used to no bottle. He is doing very very well with no bottle!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• i got my son a soft nipple sippy cup then up graded to a hard nipple sippy cup
    mommyof2tx

Answer by mommyof2tx at 8:19 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Thats a good idea Mommyof2tx, but my DS won't drink out of any sippy unless it has a straw :(. I'm going to have to be weaning off of the straw too lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:46 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• It takes time to do all those things, I would say one thing at a time. My son was weaned off of the bottle during the day first. Then I stopped the bottle before bed, all the night feedings went away, when he was eating more at the table and having the table food. For my son he let me know he was done with the bottle etc. As far as a straw, don't worry, my son learned with a straw, it's convient if you forget his sippy cup and he's at a restrauntant it's a good thing to know, as far as his pacifer, he can slowly move away from that as well, only had for bed, then just naps, and eventually out of sight out of mind, GOOD LUCK!!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 12:28 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• give a sippy cup or a straw add to cup
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 8:47 PM on Jun. 10, 2011