Potty-training

My 10 month old dd is walking, it is time to start potty training. What are some good tips to use when getting started? What worked well for you?

MomNtheRes

Asked by MomNtheRes at 11:15 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 10 months old?! She just started walking! Let her be little for a while! Start when she is ready around 2-3 years old
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• She's been walking for almost a month now. Either way, I'm not going to chain her to a potty-chair but I don't plan on having my 3 year old in diapers either.
    MomNtheRes

Comment by MomNtheRes (original poster) at 11:32 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• HA yeah you have fun with that!!!
    some tips? well how about can your dd pull down her pants herself? can she say potty? pee pee? poopy? does she know what they mean? can she climb onto the potty chair? if you said no to ANY of those, you might as well hold off until you can reach those milestones first.
    what worked well for me? I trained my dd in three days. How? I waited until she was ready. Until the kid is ready, you won't be able to potty train them. Sure you can try, but you're looking at MONTHS of trying with little results.
    Best of luck.. oh, and if you potty train your DD at 10 months old.. PLEASE post a video of it available to all us moms that responded by inboxing it to us.. and we will eat our words.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:58 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Oh, I'm sorry- I didn't realize only smartasses had access to this question. MONTHS of trying with little result works just fine for me, by 12 months my older dd was using the potty once a day, but it's been 7 years and I'm a bit rusty. I thought perhaps I could get TIPS to ASSIST in helping her learn, as oppose to wasted text that still told me nothing about the process you went through.
    MomNtheRes

Comment by MomNtheRes (original poster) at 12:05 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Hi MomNtheRes - I agree with u I can never understand y some people bother to answer - if u don't like the question, just ignore it! Anyway my 2 yr old DD is completely potty trained - I started at 15 months when it was obvious she was feeling uncomfortable. At first she resisted so I held off but then, after showing her everything carefully and slowly, she more or less took to it. We had 1 accident when she confused peeing with pooping (which made me wonder if I was being a little hasty) but that seemed to make her realise the 2 things are done together but happen independently and after that she was fine. Within 2 weeks she was totally independent - just some "mom!" moments over the paper. But I found if I emphasised "different paper for different exits" she got the hang of it. For anyone doubting this, my girlfriend potty trained her DD when she was 12 months and 2 days. Hope u are successful. Sorry if any of this is tmi!
    stace101

Answer by stace101 at 7:23 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I think ten months is a bit young. It's hard for them to understand. What we're doing with my 2 year old is going straight to underwear and taking him to his training potty every half hour. I'm not trying to be a smartass. Just giving my honest opinion. We tried to start with DS earlier and it came back to bite us. He didn't understand why we were sitting him on it and I guess thought he was in trouble? because he cried the whole time and wouldn't get up until we got him up. And also, they can't always identify when they have to go at that age which can lead to confusion and a lot of ruined clothes/furniture. Now he will come to us when he goes and tell us so we can change him and he's starting to dress himself. So we're going to try again by getting him his favorite movie character on some big boy underwear and putting him in pull ups at bedtime. It will be easier for both of you to wait until she is ready.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 7:49 PM on Jun. 6, 2011