Did anyone have a positive AFP screaning test... (not sure if that's the right name)

It's a screaning to see if your baby could have something such as down syndrom or something, well I got a positive and am going to the DR for more tests tomorrow, I'm so scared, what happened when you got one and how did it turn out?

maderacaligirl

Asked by maderacaligirl at 12:29 AM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Pregnancy

• yes I had a positive. they sent me for a level 2 ultrasound. they looked in more detail at things. I also talked with a genetecist while there and she took a very detailed family history. She also explained the numbers to me. What the #s were for downs and other defects, then explained my #s. My #s didn't match anything but since they were not "normal" according to general OB/GYN rules, they sent me for the tests. everything showed up normal in the US and I had a perfectly healthy little girl. After talking to lots of other mothers, I found out that it's quite common for them to send you to a specialist if anything is slightly off, and most often it's a healthy baby. don't get too worried about it is my best advice. I was worried sick and could hardly eat until the US and it was absolutely nothing but my #s being different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Thank you so much, that is exactly what I needed to hear!!
    maderacaligirl

Answer by maderacaligirl at 12:40 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• The AFP is notoriously inaccurate. I refused it and went straight to an amnio.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:36 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I had it. Went for level II US, refused the amnio and all looked normal so now we wait. My baby showed no signs of DS or other defects and the dr seemed quite confidant all was good. I worried, too, so just try to relax. I know it's hard but try.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 4:12 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Yes! Mine was positive! I had a nuchal transleucency test before that and it was positive as well. My Dr. recommended an amnio, so I had one done on halloween... Waited, waited, and waited some more! When I finally got the results, they were all negative. Baby is fine, and perfectly healthy!! The Dr. and ultrasound tech were off on my due date!!! Good Luck!!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 9:54 AM on Dec. 10, 2008