Anyone remember the days you were free to ride your bike anywhere you liked, you could pull over and swim at a river, lake or pond, you could walk safely, alone. You could keep windows open and doors unlocked. Family gatherings. aA family consisted of more than mom, dad, siblngs. And the Sacred Day, no one dare do physical labor. No that day was for showing appreciation for our many blessings. How did we get to this way of life in a short period of time?

shefree

Asked by shefree at 11:45 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• This nation became greedy. First they made it to where the stores can stay open on Sundays and then it drove gas prices through the roof so the rich could get richer while poverty levels rise and rise. They took God out of our schools. Morals went out of the window and crime levels continue to rise. When I was a child I would leave my parents house to go play and not return home until dusk. We didn't have cell phones to check in with them so they had no idea where we were but they knew we were safe. On Sundays we went to church and had Sunday family dinners. On Monday - Friday we would go to school, say the pledge of allegance and then a prayer. Now, I'm wishing I would've grown up in the 50"s as a teenager so that my kids would've been born in the 60"s and 70"s.
    DDWay

Answer by DDWay at 12:05 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Oh yes I do...that was the life I experienced and I cherish the memories. The advent of television began to change our lives in subtle ways. It was a natural progression from the industrial age of our birth in to the information age that is now upon us. Along the way, the advancements in viewer technology coupled with unbridled pornography, praised by the liberal elitists as an expansion of our consciousness and humanity, directly led to a general breakdown of the family. In the early 80's, cocaine and other drugs became widely available and Hollywood glorified drug usage while the politicians largely ignored the rising crime rate and degradation of minorities by the drug trade. The media, almost exclusively left-wing until Rush on the radio and Fox News, portrayed every leftist idea as a panacea for current problems while never telling the true sordid story of decline of morality.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 12:12 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• "every one of those things you mentioned are almost exclusively anecdotal

BS!!! I grew up with no bike helmets, no car seats (my 1st 2 children didn't have them either), swimming in the pond with the cows on one end and us on the other, riding horses without protective gear, riding a motorcycle without protective gear, sleeping on the back dash of the car with one of my brothers in the seat and the other on the floor, my parents could spank us without fear the 'abuse police' would swoop in and take us, putting in tobacco at age 7 (not all day, but I had to help), walking the 1/2 mile down the dirt road to my grand parents' house at 5 without my parents having to be with me. Anecdotal my arse! 

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:37 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I agree with you. I was born in the wrong generation.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 11:48 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• OP, I grew up that way (born in 1961). To a certain extent my boys experienced that when they were very young ... but I watched things change year after year. I've been back to the small town I grew up in off and on over the years and it has changed drastically. It IS sad.

The world I grew up in was nothing like what is outside the door now, and neither are a lot of the people wandering around. Lies and cheating have replaced integrity and honor. Bad manners are the norm, little girls are dressed like prostitutes, little boys wander around dressed like pimps, most parents barely know each other let alone have any foundation to base a marriage on ~ if they bother to get married at all. Most people have a ton of stuff, but no happiness or contentment in their lives. It's worse than sad.

I agree with pp ... I was born at the wrong time.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:49 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Carseats? My sisters and I used to fight over who got to sit on the hump of my parent's Chrysler Cordoba.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:36 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• So, it's okay for the OP to make broad generalizations about how society was better back in the day, but by pointing out just a few of the negative things of the past I'm a bigot?

Absolutely. Your comment attempts to minimize life as it was experienced during the 50's and 60's by specific anecdotal incidents. Tragedy and abhorrent behavior is always with us. The OP referred to the general atmosphere during that time. Your focus is meant to marginalize a truth that does not fit in your memory and/or ideology because it would ask the question...what happened to change the way we live...and the answer is political.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 3:21 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Times were great, we would play kick the can and red devil and all types of things til late at night. Ride our bikes all over town. Everyone knew everyone else. Things are not at all like they were when I was a kid.

I have to completely agree with annabard on this. Well put.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:59 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Yes I do. I long for those days before we were watched and regulated to death.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:32 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I grew up playing outside in the neighborhood all day. Walking or riding my bike to summer school (probably a mile or so away and across a busy street) for art, sewing, tennis, and drama classes. Running through the fields 2 houses down pretending I was riding a horse. Biking to my friends houses and that was between 2nd and 6th grade. Then we moved to another small town (7th-10th grades) and again we walked or rode bikes to our friends houses. We walked all over the town going to other friend's houses, went swimming at the lake or the pool, played kick the can or other games until after dark - they were more fun then! We moved again to another small town and again walked or rode bikes all over town. Across town to the DQ, around the lake (5 miles) to the campground to swim in their pool. To the lake to swim. And my parents were among the stricter ones!
    (I was born in 1959)
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 10:20 AM on Jun. 5, 2011