Why are you here? Edited, yet another example

When you enter a section of a website that is called "Religious Debate", and when the terms of service for the website, which you agreed to when you created your account, clearly state:

"When you post something, especially about a controversial topic, expect that your viewpoints and opinions may be vigorously questioned, challenged, and held up to scrutiny. If having your opinions challenged and being expected to defend your position will make you uncomfortable, please don't post about that topic."

Why do you participate in that section of the website if you believe anyone who is not a member of your faith, or a member of your faith who practices it differently than you do, is bashing, insulting or ridiculing you and your deity, simply by asking or answering a question in a way that disagrees with your own point of view?  Is it a masochism thing?

Someone sent me a link to this.  Pretty much encapsulated the attitude that puzzles me.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Good question. I think if you can't take it when people have different opinons and you decide the different opinion is "bashing", then maybe you shouldn't post ? That;s how I see it. I mean...for example, I am an agnostic and I don't think the Bible is accurate history but if someone disagrees with that, I really don't feel bad at all. It is their belief and they have a right to express their beliefs.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:56 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Looking forward to the answers : )
    clarity333

Answer by clarity333 at 11:57 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• We don't all do those things. I answer questions that I find interesting or thought provoking. I answer as honestly and thoughtfully as I can. Sadly, in this section the answer do often resort to the things you mentioned. I don't know why either. I usually move on at that point...mostly.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 11:58 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I like the discussion. A lot of things are discussed that you just don't hear talking to only your "christian friends". I'm comfortable in my religion and faith that i'm not insulted by others questions or prodding for an answer. I also am not afraid to admit i don't know some of the answers. I actually enjoy learning other perceptions of my religion or learning about other religions. It also brings some things up that i may not know about my religion that i will then go and look into further. I look online a lot and also bring questions to my pastor aka my dad :) I have also had some debate back and forth with him about some things especially in the OT. I have tattoos, they are against them per a bible verse in Lev. We go back and forth on Lev. a lot.
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 12:00 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I come to debate to the best of my knowledge and to learn. I try and skip over the post that get crazy and start going from debating to insulting.
    whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 12:09 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Very good question and one that my husband asks me quite often. Especially after an asinine answer has made me slap my forehead. Of course, he just looks at me and says "Sokka moment?"

I come here because I enjoy debating and yes, I will admit it, there are times that I will deliberately poke with a stick. I used to be on the iWon and MyWay message boards until they shut them down. I actually had a stalker on iWon but none here yet. I missed it when they shut them down and was (honestly) THRILLED to find CM and the ANSWERS section.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:12 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I am here to defend my faith, mostly against people who know little about it.
    I enjoy debate, I do not enjoy 6th grade tactics and games though. I enjoy rattling chains sometimes, because there are a few who are just too easily attracted to shiny things
    The bigger question op is, why do you care?
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:33 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

Who exactly are these people you feel are attacking your faith, and have you considered talking to a professional about these fears?

I enjoy rattling chains sometimes

Oh, wait, you're just a troll. Got it.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:36 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I do not give a shit either way......sometimes, ESPECIALLY in this section I make the choice not to read the body of the question and instead make the choice to answer soley concerning the entitled question. Of course by the way I began this answer you can tell that I read at least some of the body (but not all of it). I choose not to read the body of this particular type of question because they are mainly based on opinions and I am sure the body of the question will have the askers opinion included somewhere in there and I don't care about their opinion AT ALL. The asker cares about mine, so that is what I provide them. So my answer to this one is "I do not know." There is no true answer to that question, but it is understandable that the vast majority need an explanation, THUS RELIGIONS WERE CREATED!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 2:24 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• lo, you should have read the body, truthteller. It wasn't that deep of a question.
    clarity333

Answer by clarity333 at 2:47 AM on Jun. 5, 2011