Uh, isn't that what those people are for ???

My 4 year old daughter goes to preschool 2 days a week... We actually have to pay a hefty sum for her to go, and I assume it is in part ot pay for paychecks of the people who work there....

Well, we have to send their lunches with them, I let my daughter pick what she wants, and it is usually some sort of sandwhich, and a few other things -- she always wants these little fruit cups of peaches because those are her favorite.... Now I know she needs help opening them, I even find it hard sometimes to open them ( they have like a sheet of plastic that is basically glued to the rim of the cup... usually it is hard to pull it off, and especially hard to pull it off without spilling the juice everywhere.... So of course I told my daughter whens he first took it to school to just have one of the lunch helpers open it for her, not thinking anything of it.... ( I mean after all they are lunch HELPERS ) ....

This past week i got a note saying " next year please send your daughter a different snack, I am tired of opening her fruit cup for her everyday " signed " the lunch helper" ....

First of all, like I said they are lunch helpers... they go around and are suppose to help the kids with things they need during lunch .. second, it isnt everyday - it is 2 days a week, how is that such a problem to help a little girl with her fruit cup 2 days a week !?!?!

Friday was her last day ( for the summer) but I doubt we are sending her there next year - atleast not without a little note to the lunch helper ...

GRRRRR

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• WTF!?! I would definitely report this to the principal. This is outrageous!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:03 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I would make a copy of that letter and send it to the director of the school, along with a note of how you feel about this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• WOW thats sooo ridiculous. I HATE when people act like they shouldn't do their jobs.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:05 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• WOW! That is Unbelievable! i don't think i would be able to wait until school started again- i would have to go have a little chit-chat with the very heartless lunch helper & who ever is in charge of her! Glad your daughter has her mommy to help open her fruit cups for a while-

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 12:08 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• send note to lunch helper,, I am so sorry you find it difficult to open my child's snack for them,, next year I will be sending head cheese for her snack, and although she will not need help in opening it, could you be sure the smell does not bother other children,, I am just trying to make your life as easy as possible, I can ask the teacher or principal what one she prefers me to send,, Let me know!! Hugs and kisses,, MOMMY,, honeslty get a new school, but tell somebody.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:18 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Definitely not something you should have to put up with. Even if it wasn't the lunch helper's job to help your daughter, which it sounds like it IS, the way she wrote the note was completely rude and ridiculous. I'd report it.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:19 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I agree it was rude of her to write it. I wonder the comments your daughter had to hear upon asking to have her snack opened for her. I too recomment you talk to the director or whatever the title is of the person running the preschool.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:27 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• No way would my child go back there -- and I would tell them why!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 12:31 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Yes, those cups can be annoying and a bit sloppy when trying to take the cover-thing off, BUT that is what a 'lunch helper' is supposed to do-- help the kids with their lunches!!! It is NOT her place to tell you to send a different snack for your child because she is "tired of opening them". Now if the snack was something inappropriate (like a sack of candy bars) then I could see her reason for asking you to supply a different snack. If it were me I would contact someone at the preschool and let them know about the note, and my thoughts on it (and where the lunch helper can shove the fruit cups!) Frankly her note would make me NOT want to change the snack, but send TWO cups each day instead of just one....
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:35 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I would talk to whoever runs the school. Aside from that, is the lunch helper really a regular salaried employee, or is it more likely a college kid working there temporarily while they work on a child dev/education degree? That sounds like the kind of immature and thoughtless action of someone who doesn't take their job seriously, not someone who understands how work actually works.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:08 AM on Jun. 5, 2011