Follow up question on if i should take my son to the dr or not?

The other night i posted a question if i should take my son to the dr or not b/c his eye started gooping green out of the tear ducts and was pinkish red and had a glassey look to them. Well today his eyes were back to normal nothing til tonight they started to goop again with the green stuff. I just assumed it is allergies seems how they weren't red and glassy all day today. So my question is could it still be pink eye if it wasn't red or glassy or gooping til late tonight? the gooping started thursday and all day friday it was redish pink....i've never had this happen so i am a lil worried about what is going on? Can i give my 2 year old otc eye drops to see if it will help? Sorry for an almost repeat question. I haven't take him in to see a dr yet :\

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 12:05 AM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Doesn't sound like pink eye. Sounds like he's being exposed to something during the day and it's affecting him at night. Has he been outside that he's getting some sort of allergen exposure? It actually sounds like how my spring starts, before I start my allergy meds. I'd still take him to the doctor asap - but Monday would be fine, don't rush in to urgent care unless he seems uncomfortable or bothered by it. I would NOT use any eye drops on him - but you could dry benadryl, or wait and see what the doc says about allergy meds - I know Claritin is okay for 2 year olds, 5mg/day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Sounds like allergies. I would still take him to the doctor to be sure. They can give you something or suggest a good otc med or eyedrops for him.
    DDWay

Answer by DDWay at 12:22 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Id have him check my a doctor on Monday, just to safe.
    If its allergies or pink eye, either way - the doctor can help.
    My eye was really red and watery, but for only one day. I assumed it was allergies.
    Pink eye is a red ring around the colored part of the eye & his eye will be goopy in the morning, like sealed shut with goop. If this happens use a warm water wash rag to clean the crusty goop off.
    It sounds more like allergies.. hope he can take something by mouth once a day. Instead of eye drops.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 12:26 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Please take him to the doctor!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:28 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Sounds like this has been going on for a few days on and off, so I would take him to the Dr, as its not clearing up on its own.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 1:30 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I would call a nurse line at least to see what they would suggest....I would also prob call the Dr first thing monday morn...Just to be safe! Kind of sounds allergy-ish, but you should not take the chance. Wouldn't suggest eye drops, but maybe benadryl or tylenol if it really seems to bother him, or clairitan if you like.
    giggls2hrd

Answer by giggls2hrd at 3:16 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Pink eye. Take him in tot he doctor. Pink eye hurts!
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• ANY OTHER SYMPTOMS? IF NOT I WOULD TAKE HIM 2 DR IN A.M. ANYWAY BECAUSE MY SON USED 2 GET SAME THING IN HIS EYES & HE HAD ALLERGIES VERY BAD HE HAD 2 GO ON AN ANTIBIOTIC BECAUSE HE HAD GOTTEN SO SICK FROM HIS ALLERGIES ALL IS WELL W/HIM NOW BUT IT WAS SCARY 4 A WHILE SO GOOD LUCK I HOPE UR BABY GETS BETTER SOON!
    CandelariaMama

Answer by CandelariaMama at 3:32 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Why in sam heck have you not taken him to the doc yet?
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:39 AM on Jun. 7, 2011

• WOW.... are you going to wait until it affects he eyesight before you take him or what??
    At the very least you can CALL your DOCTOR and ask them is green goop is ok or not!!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:41 AM on Jun. 7, 2011