Dying my hair?

my boyfriend says ill look really pretty with black hair....iv never dyed my hair in my life and im kinda afraid it'll silly so i wanna ask your opinions...iv wanted to dye my hair since i was 10 but my fear of looking silly keeps me from dying it

this is my natural hair color...in the summer time....in the winter its a darker red

if i am gonna dye it im gonna do it after my sons born so i dont need to make up my mind right this second

Lizzypuppylove

Asked by Lizzypuppylove at 12:20 AM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Hi Lizzy, hairstylist here, and you have a beautiful complexion, but I notice your eyebrows are fairly light, you would probably need to dye them as well as your hair, and I think using a brow pencil would make you look harsh, have you thought about going a deeper and I mean way deeper red color? You are very pretty and I doubt that anything would look bad, I would suggest semi permanent color for at least the first time, so you are not "stuck" with it, congrats on the baby!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:24 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• lol well my eye brows are thin but are actually a darkish brown color
    Lizzypuppylove

Comment by Lizzypuppylove (original poster) at 12:26 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• this is a better pic of me lol

Lizzypuppylove

Comment by Lizzypuppylove (original poster) at 12:30 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I've always heard that it's best to only go a few shades darker or lighter to start and see from there. Going from the first picture where your hair is lighter I wouldn't just jump to jet black.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 12:51 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• i agree, don't go too dark. and try a semi-perm. first. i would go mor auburn then black. Good Luck and congrats on baby!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 7:40 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• i would not go black, until you are sure and have completely informed of the process of changing it once you're 'over' the black haircolor-phase.
    you know the saying, "once you go black, you never go back."? well, you can, but its a huge ordeal, and your hair is likely to take a hard hit in the process.
    don't do it if you aren't 100%sure..and definitely don't do just for your SO/DH.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:08 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• *have BEEN completely informed*..sorry.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:09 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• dullscissors is right. It's not like other colors that you can dye over, you have to get the color completely removed. I went black a few years back. My natural was darn near black and my eyebrows are black. After my friend did it and I walked in my house my son thought I went goth. It was a shock at first. I stayed with the black because it is better for me, but after hearing the process of going anything else, if I was younger and still experimenting or just dying for something different, instead of covering grays, I don't think I would have done it. You really do need the right skin tone for it.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:53 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• lol i tell my boyfriend that i dont have the right skin tone for it and all he says is "your pale you have the right skin tone" lol im pinkish not Lilly white XD
    Lizzypuppylove

Comment by Lizzypuppylove (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• you would look pretty with purple hair.... gonna color it purple now? remember when you "dye" your hair black, that is the darkest shade of hair color there is. to keep it looking good you would have to color newgrowth every 6 weeks,or your scalp area will look thin. if you decide to go back natural, you'd have to use a strong decolorant. this would cause much damage and breakage. yor hair looks like a level 7 and fine, easy to damage. I suggest you think hard before you make the plunge, you could always start out with low lights (dark streaks)
    shefree

Answer by shefree at 5:01 PM on Jun. 5, 2011