Those of you who have guns with a safe in the home...

My hubby has guns and alot of bullets in his Large safe. My problem is he keeps it open during the day and he claims in case of a home invasion. We have 5 kids. I recently re-analyzed this because a friend's friend son was killed by his bf with a family's gun. He had been playing around. I told my husband that we will keep it locked at all times unless he he is going to the shooting range or hunting or doing something with the guns like idk cleaning them. He has other things in there such as his $300 watches and hobby remote. I asked him to keep those out of there and find another high safe place that the kids won't mess with he got upset. I'm hoping he will not keep fighting me on this because I'm willing to not let this go.

What do you do in your home with the safe?

Is it always locked?

Is it kept opened while you are home (in case of an invasion it's already open)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Relationships

• We don't keep our guns in safes. We teach/taught our son proper gun safety.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:28 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I have weapon in my home. All the adults know how to use them and how to quickly retrieve them from the safe. There is no reason to leave it open. Why bother having a safe at all? As Mommy you need to tell him that both of you need to learn how to operate the safe quickly and then LOCK it up. Mommy if you don't know how to use the guns, ask him to take you to the range and teach you. You never know if you will have to protect your family alone someday. Good luck.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 12:29 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Our locked safe is in the garage. We used to have a smaller one but several years ago when our house was broken into while we were out of town, they broke into the safe and took some of the home defense items.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 12:29 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• We have our large safe that is locked unless we are actively putting in or taking out weapons. To do otherwise safeguards your weapons from thieves and leaves your children at extreme risk. Even kids who are taught well will do the stupid thing sometimes. We also have a safe in our bedroom with a press button combination for quick easy access. That safe is lag bolted to the wall. Inside is a fully loaded laser sighted hand gun. I do not have to aim..follow the red beam if needed. Your husband is playing with your childrens lives.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:30 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Tell him to lock the safe, if he is worried about home invasion he needs to get a taser for you to wear on your belt at all times,, I am not kidding, my nephew got in an open gun safe, shut the door and smothered, there is more danger than just guns by leaving it open.. please lock it up, your going to end up having something bad happening, if not with one of your kids with someone else's,, and btw,, before you have other kids over you NEED to inform the parents of what you have in your house, there is no way I would allow my child to come over,,, and sometimes parents do not think to ask.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:34 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I'm a gun owner, I keep them locked in cases during the day.. if DH insists on keeping it open- you should insist on keeping the ammo in a different area out of the kids reach, load the magazines but put them up and away from the guns, all you gotta do is grab them from one spot, then grab the gun and slide the magazine in. Bullets alone aren't dangerous, since it takes a spark and the extreme pressure of the igniting gun powder to set it off, however bullets right next to a gun, or inside a gun, can be very dangerous to little hands that don't know gun safety. My DD is 5 and I just put her through a gun safety course which was FREE through a local gun club, you might want to look into one for your children, they usually start as young as age 4
    JustChristianne

Answer by JustChristianne at 12:39 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• my husband own a couple guns he has a small gun safe next to the bed and it is kept locked at all time. As soon as my husband gets home his gun goes right into the safe.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 12:40 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I have never told anyone that we have a gun in the house. That is no one's business but ours. However, our gun is kept locked up in our canning room (where we keep our canning). Here in Utah, many homes have a canning room and the only way to open the door, if it is locked, is with a key. We do have the option of keeping it unlocked.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:47 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Have a small calubar rifel for rodents. The gun is kept out but the clip is kept up high, so only I can reach it.
    My kids know to never touch it.
    A friend has guns in every room in his house, we visit him & still my kids know not to touch .
    Grandpartent have an unlocked gun cabinet, kids still know not to touch them.
    I grew up with guns & its about the kids learning respect for the guns in whom evers home.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 12:49 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Every gun that I do not plan to use for home defense is stored unloaded in my safe. My shotguns (home defense weapons) are hidden behind things on mounted gun racks high enough to where I can reach them but my children can't. By the time they are old enough to where they can reach them they will have been taught to have a healthy respect for firearms. A home invasion is much more likely to happen at night, so your husbands logic makes little sense. He is creating a recipe for disaster by leaving them in easy access to children. Yes children (even young ones) can be taught gun safety, but responsible parents and common sense are just as important.
    If he insists on leaving it open, the idea about having the preloaded magazines close to but not loaded in the guns is a good one. There are many ways to protect your home without leaving your children or visiting children vulnerable to a horrific accident.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 12:55 AM on Jun. 5, 2011