A question about guns off another question,, Don't you think you should tell the parents?

We have one gun that is locked up at all times, and the bullets are kept in a different place, I just read a post about someone who keeps the gun safe and bullets open during the day. I have taught my DS about guns, but they don't realize what they can really do. I think if you have weapons laying around, it is your obligation to tell any parents of children coming into your home for playdates and what not, that you do!!! I would never have any weapons in my home that were unsecured and even if you want to you should inform the parents of children coming over so they can make the choice,, What do you think?

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 12:49 AM on Jun. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Kimigogo-awesome then we are in complete agreement. It would fry my bum to find out their was a unsecured weapon where my or someone else's child could get to it. This world is scarry enough, we do not need to loose our babies for some stupidly sensless reason.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 1:01 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Being from Wyoming, we just assume everywhere our kids go there are weapons. Ours are in a safe that's never unlocked so it's just not a topic that ever comes up. I assume because like me, we all just assume there are guns in each other's houses. Heck, they are in vehicles in special gun racks here.
    jandshyne

Answer by jandshyne at 1:13 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• No, its no one's business if I have weapons. In fact I would loose the element of surprise if it is out and known that I have a gun to protect my family. No child or adult for that matter could get to them. No one is in danger at any time...... unless you break into my home of course. Then they would get a bad case of lead poisoning. *wink
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 12:54 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I agree with you. Weapons and ammo in separate places, locked up and you should let pafents know . I know I wouldn;t be comfortable having my kids playing at a home where there was a gun that was not locked up.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:56 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Sassy sue just because you say so doesn't mean your kid wont open his mouth or get curious or snap one day. Haven't we all heard of stories like that on the news? Come on be smarter than that. And who on earth would have guns all willy nilly around the house? I wouldn't want my kids around that. I'd have a few choice words with those parents if I found out something like that was hanging around not locked up.
    Kids are full of curiosity and emotions. Who is to say that at any given moment whatever we have told them wont go right out the window? I know I didn't always obey what my mom told me not to do. Thats what made it more fun lol
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 1:28 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I forgot to mention that my weapons are locked in a gun safe that Dad and I are trained to open quickly.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 12:55 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• If you have them laying around where the children can access them, definitely yes!! I wouldn't want my kids in a home where they could get their hands on a gun.
    We have a $3,000 safe in our house that stays locked at all times. That's what they are made for.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 12:57 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• My kids know not to bring friends into the room where they are stored. And to not tell his friends.

I still say its about teaching your child the rules, so company coming over should not effected.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 1:01 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• P.S. If my kid is around a gun I reserve the right to know I don't give an F who the hell you are! You can give me a thumbs down or bash me all you want. But I wont be thinking twice about it. I want my kids safe and protected
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 1:29 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I think all children should be taught gun safety, regardless of whether their parents own them. They aren't common, but irresponsible gun owners do exist and all children need to be taught what to do in that situation.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 1:35 AM on Jun. 5, 2011