Any good tips on teenage thumbsucking?

well yea its sad to say that i am a teenage thumbsucker and i am not proud of it but i dont know how to stop comptley. i ve tried everything i promise ya... i am even able to stop for a month or two but then i start back up any advice please it would be nice thanks

ladigaga08

Asked by ladigaga08 at 12:43 AM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• don't worry about it. is it just when you are stressed or sleeping? if it's when you are stressed, try finding other outlets for it or find something to do with your hands. I crochet.

if it's when you are sleeping, maybe try mittens or gloves so that if your thumb finds its way to your mouth, you won't want to suck on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Its probably a nervous habit. Try not thinking about it and if you find yourself doing it just go and chew a piece of gum or something. Have you tried putting tobasco sauce on your thumb or vinegar on it? This might make it disgusting for you to suck your thumb. Everyone has bad habits like biting nails or tapping their foot when they are nervous or bored. Try to control your self from doing it. Is your teeth getting messed up from it?
    leekim2004

Answer by leekim2004 at 12:46 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Troll check the profile
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 6:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• IWell, I have never been a thumb sucker nor has my daughter so I am unfamiliar with it, but I wonder have you ever tried substituting thumb sucking for anything? Like maby carry around a pack of gum everywhere you go, whenever you feel theneed to suck your thumb, pop a piece of gum and chew away. A good majority of smokers smoke because they are so accustom to the hand movement of puffing a cigarette, chewing gum has helped alot because it substitutes one movement for another. Also, if you are thumb sucking subconciously without realizeing you are doing it, I would try the vinegar idea as well. This will prevent your mind from even wanting to after you accidently get a taste of vinegar. =) Good luck
    jax639

Answer by jax639 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• My 15 year old daughter is still a thumb sucker. She only sucks her thumb when stressed, or while she is asleep. We tried everything to get her to stop, we even had an orthondist put in a metal device in her mouth which prevented her to suck her thumb. six months later the device was removed a month later back to her thumb sucking. I have learned to just accept it's a habit my daughter has and it's okay. Good luck to you!
    mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 2:14 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Okay...I'm not in the norm here. I'm gonna answer anon because I don't want to advertise it but I do want to give an answer. I'm 43 and I still suck my thumb. I do it when I'm relaxing..watching TV, reading a book or whatever. Only my Mother, Husband and kids know! It relaxes me and I see nothing wrong with it. My teeth are not buck they are straight and healthy. My thumb isn't rotting off or anything like it..LOL. I think I could have worse habits then thumb sucking so if it's not ruining your teeth and YOU'RE comfortable with it...don't worry about it. But if you do want to stop try putting nail polish remover on your thumb. That stuff tastes like crap and you'll immediately withdraw your thumb. I've heard it takes 2 weeks to form or break a habit. Whatever you decide to try..be consistent and it should work. Good luck with whatever you decide to do or try.
    Anonymous