Moms with daughters... ADVICE!

How old was your daughter when you started to potty train? How long did it take? Any tips? My daughter is 13 months now and I'm ready to get this process going! We bought her potty when she was 9 months so she is used to seeing it and sitting on it when I use the restroom. Now how do I get to actually USE the potty?

mommacierra

Asked by mommacierra at 12:47 AM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• they need to be able to tell you before they go that they need to go, they need to make it through the entire night with a dry diaper. good mobility skills is also needed. you can do the schedule method though but that's not training her anything, just training you to sit her on the potty every hour.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Potty training is something that you cannot rush, they HAVE to be ready. This includes understanding having to to potty, being able to physical wait, putting the two together, and being able to tell you they have to go.

We have started introducing the potty (she is almost 19 months), we started at 17 months because she would bring me a diaper when she pooped, and says potty. We don't make her sit on it but when she says potty we go into the bathroom and allow her to sit on it as long as she wants. Nothing has "happened" on the potty yet. When I go to the bathroom (she seems to follow) I also explain what I'm doing. While it is not potty training it is potty introduction.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 1:44 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• You can start now, but I wouldn't force the issue or even expect real results for a LONG time. I'm not a very strict potty trainer.... I let my kids go at their own pace... so we never even started until after 2 years old. My oldest was tough and didn't fully potty train until she was about 3 1/2, but my 2 1/2 year old is just wearing pull ups to bed and is fully day potty trained.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 7:32 AM on Dec. 10, 2008