Moms with daughters...

How old was your daughter when you started to potty train? How long did it take? Any tips? My daughter is 13 months now and I'm ready to get this process going! We bought her potty when she was 9 months so she is used to seeing it and sitting on it when I use the restroom. Now how do I get to actually USE the potty?

mommacierra

Asked by mommacierra at 12:48 AM on Dec. 10, 2008 in General Parenting

• Uh personally I think that is way too early. What you are doing is potty training yourself. You need to wait until she develops the knowledge to know what she is doing. You are right in introducing the concept. But still her brain is not mature enough to understand.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:50 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Don't push her. It sounds like your the one who is ready for her to be potty trained and not her. Just encourage her to use the potty. Try a potty chart and let her put up a star on it if she goes. Try giving her a piece of candy every time she goes. Only use positive enforcement. Potty training is like learning how to ride a bike, don't discourage the child if he/she falls off. Take your time, she is only a little over a year. She might not even have the sensation yet. Good luck and hang in there because it might be awhile.
    leekim2004

Answer by leekim2004 at 12:50 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• since you felt the need to post the same question twice, I'll just paste my previous answer

they need to be able to tell you before they go that they need to go, they need to make it through the entire night with a dry diaper. good mobility skills is also needed. you can do the schedule method though but that's not training her anything, just training you to sit her on the potty every hour.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• i have 4 yr old twin girls and they're potty trained off and on it's basically whenever she's ready she'll use the potty. good luck
    lilybug524

Answer by lilybug524 at 12:53 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I'm in no rush, just wondering when I/she should start. No negative comments are neccesary.
    mommacierra

Answer by mommacierra at 12:55 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I have twin girls and you really need to wait til they are ready. You can give them direction and show them how to do it, but in the long run they will do it when they are ready.
    olleyblu28

Answer by olleyblu28 at 12:57 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• my dd was 3. I waited for her to initiate and I strongly believe in that. It took about 2 months of continuous effort on both our parts and she was off diapers. No accidents, either.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 4:05 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• You should consider it at about 2 1/2 - 3 years old. I started my daughter and my son about a month before their 3rd birthdays; took about 10 days to train them both and once they were trained, it was both day and night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:26 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I think she is way too young. I didn't start until after her second birthday. I really don't think that your daughter yet has the physical capabilities to go on demand or to not go on demand.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:21 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Mine's almost seven so it's hard to remember...but I think she was at least two. Like a PP said, wait until she can get through the night with a dry diaper and go a few hours during the day without being wet. She also has to show interest or all you'll do is delay the process. We actually had to start again because my daughter wasn't ready. Once she was, it happened within a week.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 9:11 AM on Dec. 10, 2008