IS IT POSSIBLE TO CARRY A FULL TERM PRENANCY WITH UNCONTROLLED DIABETES?

angelmom1989

Asked by angelmom1989 at 1:34 AM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I am sure its happened, but I dont know how the health of the baby would be, its something that really has to be monitored by high risk Dr's as to when the woman delievers, when the child becomes destressed etc.........why do you ask?
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 1:40 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• were u diabetic before u were prego?? or get it while u r prego?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:50 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I read some articles while I was pregnant and I read that mothers who had diabetes (Type 2 and gestational), chornic high blood pressure or was obese before they were prego, studies showed that the children of mothers with those conditions were significantly more likely to have autism or another developmental delay. And if the mom had at least one of these conditions, their child hsad a 60% increased risk of autism and there is a 150% increased risk for a developmental delays.

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:00 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• **Your health

The extra sugar in the blood can damage your body's organs, such as the heart, eyes, and kidneys, if it is allowed to build up in the body too long. It can also cause:

•Increased chance of needing C-section
    •Preeclampsia
    •Miscarriage or stillbirth
    •Early or preterm birth
    Baby's health

•Birth defects
    •Extra large baby
    •Low blood sugar in infant after birth
    •Increased chance of overweight obesity and diabetes in your child later in life
    **CDC.GOV

So in a nut shell its better for u long term to control your diabetes. If u allow your sugar to be uncontrolled and it builds up and u are harming yourself in a big way and diabetes can and will kill u, and its not a pleasent way to go. My dh mom died from diabetic complications and before she died, she was blind unless she has magnifying glass to be able to read. She had her leg amputated cause of gangrene when she
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:22 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• >>>got a cut on her foot and it wouldn't heal.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:23 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• OH WOW IVE HAVE DIABETES FOR 2 YRS ITS TYPE 2 AND I AM 7 AND A HALF WEEKS PREGO IM SCARED IM TAKING INSULIN NOW FOR THE PRGNANCY
    angelmom1989

Comment by angelmom1989 (original poster) at 2:37 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• keep the blood sugar controlled, do not gain to much weight, excerise. What was your A1C #? What number is your blood sugar afte u eat or your fasting blood sugar?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:58 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I had diabetes type 2 before I got pregnant, and first they gave me some pills (that won't harm the baby) and the last two months they put me on insulin. Dd is four now and she doesn't have diabetes or any type of developmental delay, or autism, she weights 40 and her pedi says she is doing perfectly in her weight and developmental part , just eat healthy, walk (I know sometimes you just wanna sleep :-) and you and your baby will be fine, don't let some of these moms scare you
    cholita1978

Answer by cholita1978 at 7:51 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• thank you soooo much :) did you have your diabets under control before you became prego?
    angelmom1989

Comment by angelmom1989 (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Talk to your doctor as soon as humanly possible. They will help you to get your dibetes under control and have a healthy pregnancy.

Having to take insulin while pregnant is not the end of the world but having uncontrolled dibetes can cause harm or death to both YOU AND BABY!

It can also cause your baby to be EXTREMELY LARGE and sick at birh. A women on the news had uncontrolled gestational dibestes that she did not know about because she chose not to have testing done. Her baby was almost 19 lbs at birth!!!

TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR!!!
    Anonymous