Any tips on how to potty train a boy that is 3 1/2 years old

jenfresno

Asked by jenfresno at 1:52 AM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I went to google.com and put in how to start potty training and then the age and it sent me to many sites to choose from. For me it was extremely helpful cause all kids are different and what a mom here gives u advice on whta she did and it worked may not work for your kid.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:03 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• well were not potty training but some things that have got my son interested is books about potty training. But as far as the process goes, he's only 18mos so we havent really started much besides getting him to recognize when he is dry and to be happy about when he is dry, and now when he is wet he immediately is uncomfortable so he recognizes that peeing or pooping and having it in the diaper is uncomfy. He also has signs that shows hes about to pee, like posture. So for the first time he went pee in the potty, but he isnt potty trained, he just knows when he has to go and if I recognize it I can catch him and then we do our potty routine.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:13 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• well my son was younger but what seem to really help me alot with it is when he would have an accident I would do a time out but instead of a corner i would have him sit on the toilet for about 4 minutes to help him think hey this is where i need to go. also just try to when home get him in the bathroom every 15 minutes or so until a regular schedule is developed or gets the hang of things just to avoid accidents. It as well takes alot of patience from the parents ive seen you can not besides nights by any means put him back in a diaper once in training. Pull ups as well did not help me either lol I think they see those as diapers. So lots of undies,lots of laundry soap, consistency and alot of patience good luck!

Destins_Mommy

Answer by Destins_Mommy at 2:26 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• doing the same with my 3 yr old!!
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 6:21 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Pick a time when you will be home for two days. I did mine over a weekend starting on Saturday morning we put on no diaper or bottoms. I did this during the summer so he just walked around in a t-shirt. I put him on the potty about every 15 minutes and gave him lots to drink that day. When we were sitting on the potty we did lots of things (reading, singing, etc.) so that he would stay on it. When he did something (pee) I'd make a big deal about it. He did have some accidents but he hated having the pee run down his legs. By Sunday night we were 90% there with peeing in the potty. It still took a while for poo in the potty, but we were well on our way to potty training in two days. We have all hardwood floors....I wouldn't recommend if you have carpeting!
    cookielover20

Answer by cookielover20 at 7:47 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Struggling with the same thing with my 3 1/2 boy. We tried stickers, treats, schedualing, the pull ups even the ones that get cold. Old style cotton training pants(those work the best). I can get him to poop in the potty, as I know his schedule, and sometimes pee, but he just started to not freak out from not having his diaper on, and once has told me he had to pee.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:52 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I had a little boy in my preschool who was extremely fearful of the toilet! We played two games that got him potty trained in a week...
    #1 He LOVED playing with little construction trucks. So he used to sit on the toilet while shredding up toilet paper, putting it in the dump truck and dumping it in between his legs. This just got him used to the potty ( he fell in one at a Walmart and was genuinely afraid to sit on it). The next game we played after he started going was "change the water" you can put in food coloring and watch it change color....Mainly blue because mixed with his yellow urine, it will turn it green..... I have also heard you can aim for cheerios but I have not used that method...the main thing is make it fun! Don't force-it's the worst thing you can do and will just prolong the process!!! Good luck! :)
    Autumnmoore324

Answer by Autumnmoore324 at 12:47 AM on Jun. 6, 2011