How do you guys feel about thank you cards?

I wasn't sure where to post this...
My grandmother (one of the people I love and appreciate most in this world) snapped at me today about the fact that my sister and I don't send "Thank You" cards to people. It just wasn't something anyone in my family was ever big on. I've never recieved one from anyone and it's never bothered me in the slightest, so it isn't as though I'm not thankful, because I am, very much so. It's just ignorance on my part more than anything else. But after I stopped feeling so upset and awful about it, I got to wondering how many other people out there I've pissed off unintentionally.
So how do you guys feel about "Thank You" cards? Is a phone call enough? Where do you draw the line?

esr

Asked by esr at 12:54 AM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Just for Fun

• we send them out for everything well my mil makes me..i have never done this til i met my dh. i ty for it it is a good habbit...some ppl want to know you got what-ever...and you like it...or manors ty
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 12:55 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• generally, such as in birthdays, baby showers, and other get togethers, if the gift is given to me directly I just say thank you, I don't feel the need to repeat myself with a card. things that are mailed or delivered via another person though, I either call or send a card depending on if I want to be social enough for the phone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I always made my kids send thank you cards. as a mother, grandmother and aunt..if I don'y recieve a thank you I don't gift the next time. It is about simple, commom courtesy.. If you don't teach your kids this basic etiquette who will?
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:02 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I always send them just to let others feel appreciated. I know I'm happy when I get one..! I don't like when people don't say anything about a gift received! Like PP said.. it's common courtesy!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 1:04 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Like another poster said, if I'm receiving the gift face to face, I tend not to; but for things like wedding gifts, shower gifts, etc. it's not only proper etiquette, but is also very polite and lets people know you appreciate their thoughtfulness and their effort in gift giving.

beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 1:33 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I think t is very considerate. I even have my son do it.
    sandra1023

Answer by sandra1023 at 1:35 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I love receiving them so I also make sure and give them. They really make me feel as if the person is appreciative. I never used to send them out until I started receiving them. That is when I realized that they are important and thoughtful. I usually only send them when I did not receive the gift in person, and I was not able to say thank you face to face.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 1:45 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• i was taught by my grandma to send thank you cards and i do. and will teach my sons to do the same. i think it's respectful especially to people who are older than you. i don't send them to my friends except for my baby shower.
    humboldtmama21

Answer by humboldtmama21 at 2:06 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• We send them if it's a special thing - showers, weddings, funerals, etc...
    But not for every little thing.
    Jill42721

Answer by Jill42721 at 2:09 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• i would for big occasions, like a bridal shower, wedding, baby shower..but since i havent gotten married, and i didnt have a baby shower..i havent had the chance to..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:11 AM on Dec. 10, 2008