Breastfeeding help

My baby girl will be 2 weeks Monday. She has been completely breastfed since birth. She eats from around 5 to 15 minutes every 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. Sometimes she will eat for a little longer but on average its only about 8 mins or so. This just seems like so little to me. She goes in for a weight check Monday and this past Tuesday when we went for her first checkup she had gained 7 of the 8 oz she had lost. So the doctor said with her gaining the weight there isn't really anything to worry about. Is there anything that I can do to get her to eat longer? Any advice would be appreciated... even though I breastfed my son, I'm still pretty new at this lol.

tiffanynichols

Asked by tiffanynichols at 2:21 AM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son was the same way. He would breast feed for like 10 minutes and be done, but I can tell you he gained weight at a good weight and he had a good latch and suck, so he was able to get out a lot of milk very quickly. I was also engorged so the milk would like pour out, no need for him to eat longer than what he did.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:35 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Congrats! My baby girl will be 2 weeks on Tuesday, so they are are only a day apart! She sounds like she is eating just fine. Every baby loses weight when they come home from the hospital. My 1st lost 8 oz and my 2nd lost 4 oz. This baby is eating anywhere from 5-15 minutes, every 2-4 hours. Just remember how tiny their tummys are and they can only hold so much food. She will eat more as she gets older and they can hold more food. The best way to know if she is getting enough food is if she is having 8-10 wet or dirty diapers a day.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 7:47 AM on Jun. 5, 2011