Do your tweens do chores? Do they do them well?

My son has chores but he does them half assed and I am constantly having to go behind him and re-do them. My brother's son is the same way. At some point it feels a little futile to have to ride him to do his chores and then have to go behind him and do them over anyway. If I didn't though, no one would ever be able to safely pee in my house again because his idea of a clean toilet and mine are WAY different and things grow in there and his sister and I have to sit on that seat he pees on. So, do your kids have chores? Do you have to battle them to get them to do them? Do you have to go behind them and re-do them? Do you go behind them and re-do them or do you go behind them and make THEM re-do them?

jandshyne

Asked by jandshyne at 2:34 AM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• My daughter half asses her chores too. It's not like I give her a lot to do. Take out the trash on Wednesdays, fold the clothes every other day, etc. I make her redo them.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:36 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• We don't have set chores, just if you see somehting dirty, or out of place, clean it or put it back.
    Welll...I take it back a little the bathrooms have a schedule for cleaning, and the laundry has its own schedule, and the dishwasher has to be set before bed. But things like vacuuming, sweeping, trash, it's basically who ever is up to it does it, me, my hubby, my kids, whoever.

But for the bathroom, once a week they are responsible for cleaning it, that is it is their bathroom, I don't use it so I don't clean it.
    we use all natural and organic products so both of the older kids, (boys age 11 amd 8) clean.
    11yr---toilet and shower
    8yr---counter/sink and floor
    they both have to spray and wipe down the walls, and make sure everything is stocked up.

as for laundry, they each do their own laundry. 11yr does his on Mondays 8yr does his tuesday.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:55 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Yes . And yes most of the time . Thy look after our cats very well,. They don't do as well keeping their rooms from becoming a threat to public health .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 2:56 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• My son is only 5 but he has had chores since he was 2 years old. He is pretty good about remembering to do them because he's been doing them for so long.
    cookielover20

Answer by cookielover20 at 7:42 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• My 9 and 11 yo's have chores and I don't do them for them. I do go behind and check them, and if they aren't done well then they have to do them again, so it's rare that they don't do a good job. The chores are mandatory, but if they do them without complaining, then they get an allowance. ($4/week - $2 to spend and $2 in their credit union savings accounts)
    They do one load of laundry/week, vacuum and dust their rooms, sweep the kitchen two nights/week, and they each clean their own bathroom (I do the tubs, they do the vanities and toilets)

Answer by missanc at 7:57 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Dd is just 4, but she's responsible for picking up her toys, and during laundry (once a week) she has a step stool, and she puts her clothes in the washer, after she is done with dinner she has to put her plates and cup in the sink, and she has a little sponge and helps me wash the car (now I don't force her to do this, but she thinks is a game :-)
    cholita1978

Answer by cholita1978 at 8:29 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• We give our daughter spare change for whenever she helps around the house (shes 2 1/2 sooo) and when she dosent do something right or all the way through we make her do it again. Usually when she has a nice amount in her jar (an old baby bottle LOL she wont keep it in her piggy bank she wants it in that dang bottle :P) we take her to walmart and let her pick out a little toy and/or a piece of candy (usually both) and she pours her change into the self service machine and we make up the difference (usually we dont have to though) and she is so proud of herself ;)
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 8:34 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Wow, so many start so young!! My daughter loves to clean @ age almost 5, but so did my son at her age and now it's a battle to get him to pick up his underwear that are next to the laundry hamper. I know from experience they totally outgrow this so I can warn you now! :o) My son has similar chores to the ones here except for the laundry because his dad throws the clothes in the wash and I fold/hang them and the kids put them away. My son empties the dishwasher, clears the dishes, dumps the trashes, cleans their bathroom because he pees all over the place, and has to scoop the litter boxes and feed the cats.
    jandshyne

Comment by jandshyne (original poster) at 11:37 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I had struggled with this for YEARS. My kids have made their beds since grade school, but I had to tell them EVERYDAY. I rencently turned this all around !! I sat down the older two and told them that they have abundant priviledges living here, everything they need and most of what they want. THey both have cell phones and access to a computer. From now on they would earn these two privildges on a daily basis. In the morning they: make their beds / pick up their dirty clothes from the bathroom floor & pick one chore from the list in the kitchen (take out trash, empty dishwasher, ect...) if those things are completed they've earned their phones for the day. The phone is charged on my desk..so they can't get it until those things are done.They both slipped only once, and endured a day without a cell phone. ITs only happened once!! ITs been 4 months!!
    Momof315126

Answer by Momof315126 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• you know, if he does them, I'm happy. If I have a problem with how he's doing them, I don't go behind him and redo... I reteach, but not the same day that he does them. Maybe the next time I ask him to do something, I show him how I would like it done and he usually puts a little more effort into it because he doesn't want the lecture. I don't stress over how he puts his clothes away, however... if he is happy with the drawers not closing, what's it to me, right? As long as it gets done. But I never nag and I never go behind him, he'll get it at some point. They are just learning household responsibility at this point anyway... all kids are going to get away with the minimum until taught better. Heck, I totally remember being told to clean the kitchen and I thought that only meant putting the dishes away, boy did I get screamed at... but it was never explained to me what "cleaning the kitchen" was until that day. Never got it
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 12:16 PM on Jun. 10, 2011