Crippling depression?

How do you beat back crippling depression? I have PTSD, Chronic Fatigue, and a serious issue with Clinical Depression. I have been on and off meds since I was 16 and lately life has been one big ball of suck. My meds quit working a month ago but because of the med I had to be weaned off for X amount of time before we can try something else. I am wondering if any of you have any ideas for beating it back until my appointment because frankly it's kicking my ass. Getting out of bed is a serious chore, showering and getting dressed is a big deal, leaving the house is just not going to happen unless we are in danger of starving to death. I don't want to see anyone, do anything, or otherwise leave my bubble. I have struggled with this long enough to know I'm in a bad place (although not suicidal just to be clear). My family is suffering because of it and I have like 5 days before my appointment and just have to do something. Do any of you have any ideas? Because the whole "get your butt out of bed, shower, and get dressed and leave the house thing" is just not working for me right now. I just want to curl up in a ball and cry and wallow in my self pity and I can't. I've tried spending a lot of time outside in the sunshine and playing with the kids but even that isn't helping so I'm at a total loss for the first time in a LONG time.

jandshyne

Asked by jandshyne at 2:43 AM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Health

• i did have a peiod of depression and I was on meds but I think my husband was the one who pulled me through with ' tough love' - and the gentler sort too. You really need someone understanding to help, even when you are on meds , it is hard to do it on your own . You may find a vacation for at least 2 weeks someplace entirely different from your home environment will help too .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 2:53 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I should have specified I am in a support group for PTSD and have a private counselor. Also, as much as I would love a vacation it's not feasible and because my PTSD springs from a fire that killed 100 animals (I raised exotic animals), destroyed everything we own, and killed my two oldest dogs when I was on an out of town trip with a friend, leaving for any length of time without my family and everything I own is a serious problem for me. I am getting better about it, but still struggle with it and have a really hard time with nightmares when away from home.
    jandshyne

Comment by jandshyne (original poster) at 2:57 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I think you need to get seen sooner. You are at your bottom and you know it. That is what is important. You know you are not living but existing. And you know that this type of existence is not healthy. I was scraping the barrel of my depression last year so I know how you feel. Nobody could help me because I did not want them in my bubble. What medication were you on if you mind me asking? I've been on all of the SSRIs (paxil, prozac, zoloft) an SNRI (effexor) and now am on Lexapro and Wellbutrin. It has changed my life around. I hope to never be in your place and while I cannot offer you advice, just know that I am feeling what you are and I am hurting for you. Nobody should feel the way you do. It seriously hurts.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:13 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• my doc put me on Pristiq (anti-depressant) and this had have been one of the best decision I have ever had. It has ben wonderful to be able to live a better life and feels me with energy that I haven't felt in yrs!! There are ways to qualified if u can't afford it. Here the website if u want tro check it out.
    www.pristighcp.com and then see if your doc will write u a RX
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:17 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I have also been on all of the SSRI's and Effexor. It's the Effexor that quit working so we're back to square one. Apparently my doctor's office thinks meds are non-emergent so my appointment is the 8th although after this weekend I am going to call Monday and push for sooner. My counselor doesn't manage my meds, she makes recommendations to my GP because I live in a small crappy town without a Psychologist (is that the one who can write prescriptions? If not it's the other kind) so they have to work together. You are 100% right that I am at the bottom and I recognize it and have been here enough to know where I am. I was just hoping someone had some kind of suggestion to get me through until my appointment on the 8th. Normally just sunshine and fresh air would do it, but this time not so much. I also take anti-anxiety meds for my PTSD because I have horrific nightmares if I don't.
    jandshyne

Comment by jandshyne (original poster) at 3:36 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Oh and we tried the new one that you add to an anti-depressant as well, but I HATED it. The side effects were horrible. I can't think of the name right now because it's late and I should be in bed, but can't sleep.
    jandshyne

Comment by jandshyne (original poster) at 3:38 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Have you tried cognitive behavioural therapy? I found this helped me alot. I need to go back actually as im feeling very much the same as you right now....... Feeling like even breathing is a big issue really sucks. But somewhere, even though it maybe tiny, is light at the end of the tunnel.
    06Lilraysmom

Answer by 06Lilraysmom at 7:51 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I am so sorry you are going through this. My mother was diagnosed with Major Manic Depression with Psychosis about 15 years back. went through about 1-1/2 years where she was so bad that all she did was sit and cry. That's not an exaggeration. She would spend most of her time just in silent tears, but she would also sometimes get to the point of complete hysterics. None of the medications seem to work very well...or at least enough...for her, so they would switch her from this to that to this to that. She went through light therapy and I know there were at least talk of other therapies. It was a hard time in her life and the lives of all of us to watch her go through it. Then I got her a Yorkie puppy and, I swear, within weeks, she was very close to being back to her old self. I'm not saying a new addition would be a quick fix-all, but it sure helped the turn around of my mother. Just an idea for you...
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:12 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• @AllAboutKelley - I recently found out Bipolar Disorder runs in my family. It's a ways out but I've read a lot about it over the past several years and wondered if I'm not Bipolar rather than just suffering from "recurring clinical depression". Every time I ask though my doctors tell me my highs aren't high enough and that with all we've been through it is only natural to struggle and they can't diagnose BPD when there are triggers that can be pointed at as causing the depression. So frustrating. I actually let my daughter get a new puppy a while back both for her and for me. As sweet as she is, she's kinda just one more thing to clean up after and I never would have felt that way about an animal 3 years ago. So to say I've hit bottom is a serious understatement.
    jandshyne

Comment by jandshyne (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Jun. 5, 2011