When is it time?

I suffer from PCOS and Endometriosis stage 3. My son was a miracle and my daughter is adopted. We TTC from the time my son was 3 until a month before we began the adoption proceedings for our daughter so I think about 4 years.

In my heart I know I can't conceive another child and I know there are other alternatives should we choose to expand our family which isn't in the cards that I know of.

So why then am I still so reluctant to have the hysterectomy I need to have? I have railed against it for so many years I think I am now just railing against it to do so and it really would solve so many problems for me health wise. So why can't I just let go and do it?

I just keep thinking, it's so final and I'm so young, and I am running out of excuses in the "no" category while the reasons in the "yes" category are getting more and more significant.

What would you do if you knew you were done having kids, and you knew it would help you in areas you struggle in, weight, crippling cramps, skin tags, emotional issues, etc...? Would you struggle like I have with the decision or would it be an easy one for you?

jandshyne

Asked by jandshyne at 3:44 AM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Health

• It's important for your health and you will always find excuses not to do it. As women we're raised it's all about having kids, family, and it's our role. However, you have beautiful healthy children, now you need to be healthy to raise them. They deserve to have you around as long as possible. It's very difficult to get past the fact you're done having kids. Trust me on this, it doesn't go away.
    As you get older when you hold a baby you will thing, what if,....if only....
    You can't put back the hands of time and it's important you focus on making you the priority.
    I've been there myself.
    My doctor insisted I do something so I wouldn't get pregnant again. He said I would be risking my life. I had a tubal ligation though I wanted so badly to forget it all. It was the most difficult thing I have ever done. I actually dreamed twice of having a baby after surgery!
    This is the right thing, you need to think of you.
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 5:41 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I really can't answer this for you. I wish I could. We've been TTC for over 2 years, and I believe I have Endometriosis (waiting for insurance so I can have the lap)
    HUGE hugs for you. I will keep you in my prayers
    MedicMommy

Answer by MedicMommy at 7:14 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Your uterus does not make you a woman or a mother. Your heart makes you a mother. I had a hysterectomy when I was 31. It was the best decision I made. I have two children. I will tell you this. I had the beginning stages of breast cancer. Every lumpectomy came out the same. So I chose to have a double mastectomy. I didn't want in 1 year or 5 years to have stage 3 or 4 cancer by putting it off. And then later looking back and saying if only I had done it then, I wouldn't be in this bad of a situation.
    Good luck sweetie with whatever you do. The choice is ultimately yours. My prayers are with you.
    DDWay

Answer by DDWay at 12:02 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Those of you who have had one/are having one. Were you afraid of hormonal imbalances? Because I am seriously afraid of them. It's my biggest hang up at this point. A friend of mine has struggled to find the right balance with her HRT for years after issues like mine. I already suffer from some serious emotional issues that may or may not have anything to do with my female issues although I suspect they play some role and it's one of the main reasons I am really I think ready to have the surgery. Do you struggle with HRT or has it been pretty manageable?

Also, thank you so much for taking the time to respond!!
    jandshyne

Comment by jandshyne (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Jun. 5, 2011