Has this ever happened to you?

I have 5 kids, and I have not been able to do anything in peace for a really long time. Lol. Anyway, today I actually got to go grocery shopping by myself, without a single child. I should have been very happy right. I didn't have to worry about a baby crying, or a toddler running around. Or my older kids wanting something. But yet, I have never felt so empty. I wasn't prepared for that. I just wanted to hurry back so that I could get them all and hold them in my arms. Am I going insane? I kept imagining not being able to see them again and that broke my heart.

bellasrose71008

Asked by bellasrose71008 at 1:04 AM on Dec. 10, 2008 in General Parenting

• You are so NOT insane, I have two kids 9 and 6 and I got to go Christmas shopping alone (my Fiance was working) I was so excited to be out and about by myself but the second I got to the Mall I had a small anexiety attack and it was all I could do to not turn around and go home to my babies. I didn't however, and it was a very sucessful shopping day, I think moments like that really make you appreciate the door flying open while you are peeing or the constant "mom mom mom" while you are on the phone. You are a perfectly normal Mama.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 1:10 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Oh yeah, I've totally felt that way. But I just kept making time for myself so now I have a balance. It's normal to feel that way though, your kids really become a part of your very existence! Once you've become accustomed to that you don't know what the heck to do with yourself anymore. You should try to schedule more YOU time, so you don't feel like you "might not see them again?" That's not good. You are going to have major separation anxiety later on.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 1:45 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• No doubt. I realized, after reading my question, how out of whack that all seemed. I almost didn't even know what to do with my hands. I definitely need to get out more by myself.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 1:50 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• lol. Yeah. I also freak out when I look at the basket and don't see the little one there. For a minute i forget she's not with me and think she's been kidnapped or something. It's weird when you're used to having them with you all the time and then suddenly they're not.
    peanutsmom323

Answer by peanutsmom323 at 9:51 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• yeah my son drives me nuts in the stores but if he isnt there i have guilt about leaving him at home to not get to go out.... i am like that too.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:52 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I feel that way every time, which isn't often! Last time I went to the store alone, after I finished checking out, I went to tell my 3 yr, 'let's go', like I always do and almost freaked when I didn't see him anywhere! lol Then I felt like a crazy person!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 12:16 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I'm the same way. I will even complain to my husband that I am always with the children and need some time alone. As soon as I get that time alone I don't know what to do with myself and constantly feel like I've misplaced something.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 1:14 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Wow, it is great to know that I am not the only one. It did make me appreciate all the chaos. I came home yesterday thinking that I wasn't going to complain anymore, because I know that I can't make it without them.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• It wasn't until after I had my son that I realized just how boring life was before. Even when me and hubby go out on date nights, I still just want to get back home to that little smiling face!
    TheDragn01

Answer by TheDragn01 at 4:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• i understand. I have 9 kids and it is so strange. We have homeschooled for years and I loved going to the store by myself, but when I got there I felt I had to hurry home. Now most night we only have 4 or 5 kids at the dinner table (3 don't live at home anymore and on works through dinner time) I feel lost not having to cook so much food.

sew4heaven

Answer by sew4heaven at 11:13 PM on Dec. 10, 2008