I don't think i will give my son his ADHD medicine over the summer.

it is not that severe and i really do not want too, i am sure some people will say how wrong that is but i do want to know what others think.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 AM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Often, med breaks are good for the kids. It gives you a chance to see what he is like without the meds. As long as you are there to monitor his behavior to make sure he is not doing anything dangerous, I say go for it!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:57 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Hmmm... Well, another thing you could do is give him one every other day for maybe a week and then take him off of it. That might be good enough. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 12:46 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• It's not wrong. He is your child and you alone can make a decision like this. My kids are both adhd and it's a tough call sometimes especially w/the pressure family and friends can put you under. GL
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 4:15 PM on Jun. 10, 2011

• I don't think it is wrong to not give it to him. I will tell you I have a friend, whose son does not have ADHD that bad either, and they tried stopping his medication. He came to them and said I really need to take it because it makes things clearer for me. So while I understand wanting to take him off I would listen to what he says about taking it.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:58 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• thanks Ladies, he says he doesn't want to take it so that is pretty much where this came from, I have no problems dealing with him, he was just not focusing in school as well and would be getting out of his chair and doing other things. I will admit his grades have gotten alot better but i am going to try it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:06 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I agree with the ladies above. Id do it too. If you can handle his ADHD w/o the meds I see no logical reason to medicate him. The only problem I CAN see is that maybe when school starts again he might not want to take them but otherwise, if you think opposite, go for it! :)
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 8:30 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• My sil does that sometimes and every time she regrets doing it. I feel sorry for her child because his behavior is so horrible when he is off his meds and he gets in so much trouble. For his situation I think its wrong for her to discontinue his meds. I know ADHD has a huge range, and if you think/know your son can handle not taking his and since you know him better than anyone then its really your decision.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:34 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Usually, for most medication, they say it's not good to just quit cold turkey. So, I would get a pill cutter and cut it in half for a couple days and then quarters for a couple days and then let him go off of it. I don't see a problem with seeing how he does and I'ld do the quarters and half pills to put him back on. You never know he may not need that dosage anymore.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 9:51 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• buttercup- they are capsules so i guess i can't do that. but that is a smart idea.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:07 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• You're his mother you can make that decision. Who cares if others think it is wrong! If it works for him and it works for you then I see no issue in it. As a previous poster said med breaks are sometimes good for kids and who knows maybe you'll even find that he doesn't even need the meds.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 10:22 AM on Jun. 5, 2011