What To Do?

My cats peed in a basket of clean laundry. How do I get the smell out? I am in the process of rewashing them right now, but then what?

Bugbait

Asked by Bugbait at 8:16 AM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I'd try putting a cup of white vinegar in with the load. It's really good for removing smells.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:23 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Answer:
    1.Have you taken your cat to the vet?
    Aside from a dirty litter box UTIs (urinary tract infections) are the most common cause for litter box avoidance. It is very important to rule out a medical cause first.
    We'll assume for now that your cat has been cleared by the veterinarian, that this is her first "accident" outside the litter box, and that the urine stains are fresh. Here's a simple solution, using your household products:
    Combine one part distilled white vinegar with two parts warm water in a spray bottle. Liberally spray all areas of urine stain. Make sure you don't miss any spots. Launder as usual with a mild detergent.

SCB0109

Answer by SCB0109 at 8:24 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Put vinegar in with the wash load and maybe even the rinse.

Answer by Bmat at 8:37 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Vinegar. Wash and rinse several times.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:29 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• 1. Soak in COLD water & plain white vinegar. Be liberal with the vinegar. You should smell vinegar only and not vinegar mixed with cat pee.
    2. Wash in machine on cold wash with vinegar only - no detergent. Again, be liberal. About a cup of vinegar for a medium sized load minimum
    3. After the cycle ends, smell check your clothes. If all you smell is vinegar, run a regular cycle with detergent. If you still smell cat pee, run another vinegar only cycle.

My cat pees on things periodically because she's an asshole. This is a foolproof method that has worked for me every time. I have saved a lot of clothes and towels this way. Good luck!
    Vix920

Answer by Vix920 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• used vinegar and baking soda(mix them together first then add to laundry)
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Soak, white vinegar, dish soap and run wash. The wash regualrly for the second load.
    MamaSunshyne

Answer by MamaSunshyne at 5:57 AM on Jun. 6, 2011