What does "EDUCATED" mean to you?

Could a person who did not get a college education be considered "educated" if he has traveled all around the world? Or is it only people that have gone to college? What else could/does 'educated' mean? Just curious... or bored (not sure) Lol.

bellasrose71008

Asked by bellasrose71008 at 1:19 AM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I think educated means anyone who WANTS to learn from their mistakes, and the mistakes of others, AND liked to learn about stuff. THey don't look at learning like it's something hard to do, but something that empoweres them or makes them just a little less curious.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 12:27 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Travel can be more educating than school, sometimes.

Being educated, in my view, is being open to ideas and experiences beyond what you'd have in your normal circle. College graduates are often more open than those who didn't go to college, but there are always exceptions.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:23 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Educated could not only mean that but you could be "educated" in a certain topic...Any topic and be extremely smart in it. My dad is not book smart by any means. Back in his day he didn't get the education school wise he needed, but when it comes to computers, electronics, music equiptment, and mechanics he is extremely good at them and taught himself how to use, repair and play them.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 1:24 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• i see it like you do...gdiamante
    I didnt go to college. PPL say i am uneducated being young mama.
    but they dont know since age 5 i had to raise my brother at 7 my other brother came...at 9 my sister came so i have raised kids my whole life. each one is diff.

also like she said have a open mind you learn alot. I never have a 1sided opion i listen/read what everyone has to say. take in as much as i can.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 1:26 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I agree, I have met some really smart people, with whom you could bring up almost any topic and they would be able to carry on a conversation about it with you, and they did not even finish high school. I then I have met some scientists, that you have to wonder what the heck they are thinking because they seem to live in a bubble. I mean, I know that they are educated, but they just seem so dumb. Lacking common sense is what it is.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 1:29 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Educated to me means you went to college. Doesn't always mean you are the smartest person though!
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 1:31 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• PP-- COPY THAT. My dh never finished college, but can fix plumbing, install everything from faucets to a water pump and everything in between, wire a house to CODE (pass inspection), he plays seven instruments and made his living playing music for thirty years like that,can and HAS run sound for his son's and my daughters' bands in clubs and at churches,(teaches in a studio,now)can fix electronics, put an earring in my dd's ear and I''ve seen him catch a bird out of the air because my 3 year old dd wanted to pet a wild bird! He can also snap a fly out of the air with a rubber band!! No joke! So book smart? No, he can read well but can't spell worth a hoot. Education is a word with a variety of definitions.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 1:43 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Generally when I hear the word 'educated' I assume someone is a grad student.

Traveling around the world to me would be more about being 'cultured'.
    Jill42721

Answer by Jill42721 at 1:58 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Hhmm, Jill42721 that makes sense.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 2:07 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• When I was 22, I took a job as a receptionist/data entry person with a manufacturing company. Six months later, the boss' wife (co-owner and my direct supervisor) took me into her office one Friday afternoon and told me that she wouldn't be back in the office for awhile because they'd adopted a baby and were picking her up that evening. (!!!) Four years later, I'd been "educated" in full-charge bookkeeping. I look at those four years as my "college education", and I got paid to learn! :-) So, to answer your question, I don't think a person needs a piece of paper from a college to be "educated".
    jburg2541

Answer by jburg2541 at 3:20 AM on Dec. 10, 2008