Kids and drivers license

At what age can your child get a drivers license?
Do you think, it mean to make them wait?
My dd was 17, when she took drivers ed. She had to prove to be able to hold a part time job, save $500 incases of an acident. The $500 is there for the deductable & if she has an acident, she can't drive again, until she saves another $500.
She won't get her license until she's 18.

So, am I horrable mom?

I'm a single mom, she also paid the $300 for the classes. I told her whatever she saved for the down payment, id match it, then help her finance the rest. Id co-sign the remaining loan.
Id don't get the parents that pay for everything & the kids gets a brand new car. Oh they wreck it.. oups, buy them a new one.

SassySue123

Asked by SassySue123 at 9:02 AM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• You are absolutely handling it correctly! Driving is a privledge, not a right. And it's a seriously huge responsibility. They need to help work for such things in life. My son did not get his license until he had a job & could afford his gas, insurance & upkeep. Sure we had to drive him around for a while. He also got rides from other family & friends. But he worked & saved & he's taking care of his bills (incl. his cell phone) So - no you're not a horrible mom, you're a great mom for teaching her one of many life lessons. You are helping her grow up! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:10 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• My kids have/had to wait until they are/were 18, I don't think any teen should be driving. We put so much effort into keeping them safe that I am surprised that more parents don't feel that way. The statistics are scary and it is one risk I prefer to wait on.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 5:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• My oldest son (first family) was 18 before he took driver's ed. I made him save 1/2 of it from the part time pizza job he had. Same for his first car; whatever he saved I would match, so the longer he saved the better used car he could buy. My youngest son (first family) was 17 when he had enough money to pay for driver's ed. I made him the same offer for his first car but he didn't wait too long and ended up with one that was a piece and he was putting money into it almost every payday. I was a single mom.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:25 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I didn't let my son get his license until he was 19. I haven't regretted it.

My daughter got upset and went to her dad's when I refused to let her get a license at 16. She has had 4 excessive speeding tickets, one accident.

Driving is not like it was when were were kids. Road rage is rampant and it takes some maturity to be able to handle nuts.
    JezebelKel

Answer by JezebelKel at 1:56 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• OP: I agree! My parents gave me 6 mos of paid car insurance as a 17th B-day present, when I got my license. I paid for everything else after that. I appreciated that responsibility & took good care of my 1973 land- yacht- clunker! I made it last for 2 years! :)
    My half sis on the other hand, has not had to pay for her car, car ins., cell phone, etc. She has already totalled her 1st car, and has had 2 or 3 minor accidents w/ the new car & it looks like a POS! Since it's not "her" money, there are no consequences when she screws up! I think her behavior would improve if she had to pay for repairs, the increase in insurance rates, etc. Spoiling or indulging your kids does not prepare them for the real world!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:44 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• In my house, a driver's license doesn't come on some date on the calendar. It comes when emotional maturity is displayed. If that's at 16, fabulous. If not, then oh well. She knows what she has to do to earn it.
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 12:31 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• At 17 they can get a license and i told my son he could but if he wanted a car then he better get a job and i would help him but i wasn't going to buy him a car he needs to learn responsibility.
    So he drives my car only if i'm with him...They have to learn sometimes and parents are the best teachers.
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 7:19 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• In our school they offer drivers ed after school for free. You have to be 14 I think, and 15 to get a permit. I told mine they were welcome to the classes if they could remember to sign up for them and go to all of them without an excuse. They dont allow you to miss even one day or they drop you from the class. None of mine went at 14 bc they werent responsible enough to sign up. I figured if they couldnt do that then they didnt need to be behind the wheel.
    Mine all got their licenses between 16-17 yrs old. here at 18 you dont need special classes or moms permission so no I would not do what you did. They would have done it on their own anyway. I have them on my insurance. I expect them to have fender benders. They happened. My kids always have jobs at 16 so its a moot pt there too. I also buy them their car so I know it is a safe car.
    (cont)

Answer by gemgem at 9:06 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• In NC it makes it easy on us parents too. The first 6 mths they have to be home by 9pm. They cannot drive with more than one teen, or both parents, but not both. There are alot of rules to have a license set up by law. So for me it was easy. I just enforced our state law.

Answer by gemgem at 9:07 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• every kids and situation is different dd 15 took all the class need (her school offered them free) and we have all the paper work but she just doesnt feel ready to take that on so we have yet to go to the dmv......teacher responsibility is one thing , shoving it down their throat is another

cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:55 AM on Jun. 5, 2011