Do you and your dh give yourselves an allowance?

Does this work? I think I will try this this week.

Autumn07

Asked by Autumn07 at 9:04 AM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Money & Work

• We don't really have the money to do that- so if one of us needs something it just goes in the budget. We do get $20 a month to spend on entertainment for the family. Once we're in a better financial situation we'll probably budget a little bit of his and her money.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:18 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• We used to when we were first married and things were really tight. It was not for any household spending but for personal odds and ends we wanted.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 9:08 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• No. We are each aware of the money we have (he more than me because I rarely have a need to spend money) and most of the time 'we' are pretty good about not spending too much. Now when he was working I threatened to put him on an allowance.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:14 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I wouldnt call it an allowance. If we have left over money we see what needs to be bought around the house first. For instance I am planting 100 plants of peppermint around the pool deck to deter mosquitos so I need some things for that. I am buying that he knows we need it. If there is anything after that then he or I can buy mad items. Mad items are video games,music, dvds we really want, shoes, hand bags, or whatever. There is no set amount though.

Answer by gemgem at 9:10 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• When I was making my own money I spent it a lot more uncatiously. Then I was stay at home and hubby was incharge of the money. He spent it uncatiously. Now we put it on a shelf and both have acess to it. We both watch our spending now bc we know the other person will go off asking where did all the money go?
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 9:20 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• yes, we have about $20 every 2 weeks that we use just for stuff that we want. Not household stuff, but if he wants to eat lunches at work, or I want a magazine that would come out of our $20. Sometimes I use it all, sometimes I don't (I work at home so I usually just eat what is in the fridge) but what I don't spend I put in an envelope in my drawer. Last year I saved about $ 100 this way and bought myself the Uggs I wanted.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 9:30 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• No
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:43 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• yes, money is tight and this helps us think more about where the money is going
    stacy8606

Answer by stacy8606 at 1:05 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• We don't really have an allowance. We do have an agreement that we can spend up to a certain amount of money without talking to each other first. Anything over that amount, we have to both agree on it.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 9:59 PM on Jun. 5, 2011