How can I better help my little sister with her situation?

my sister is 17 years old and she just found out that she is pregnant. her guardians are trying to force her to have an abortion (which I don't think they have the right to do). She is currently staying with my husband and I for a few weeks until we figure something out. But the main problem is, the house that we live in now is too small for her to move in, we don't have the room and we don't have the money to go and buy another house. I want to help my sister but I don't know what to do. Any ideas anyone?

Kat1990

Asked by Kat1990 at 9:09 AM on Jun. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• By law they cannot force an abortion and if they try she could call the police I would think because they are taking her right to choose from her. If you really dont have the room for her take her to a womens shelter. In essence even though she is not being abused by a man she is being abused psychologically by her guardians who are trying to force her to have an abortion. If they cannot help they probably do know who can. Social services also has a once in a lifetime program where they help get you into an apartment if you are homeless. She can sign up for aid there like medicaid which she is going to need, food stamps tanf, and child support eventually. I would also take her job hunting. My dd was able to work until the day she gave birth. She worked at McDonalds.

Answer by gemgem at 9:13 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• gemgem - you have the perfect answers.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:17 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Will she consider adoption? Go to your county/state website and look for womens' health resources. Usually you can find counseling, prenantal care, and other sources of help. Also your state bar association for pro bono (free) legal help. Google your state's name and the words 'bar association'. just ideas..........hug
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 9:17 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• All great advice above. Does she want to keep the child? If she was thinking adoption, I'm sure you could manage to find room for her at your place til birth.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 9:17 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• yeah, I don't see how anyone can force her to have an abortion. Does she know what she wants to do yet? It's nice your helping her out best way you can, I'm sure she's scared. Does the place you live have an organizations that help pregnant teens? Our town has a non profit organization that helps all pregnant women with everything, right down to finding a doctor, waying out your options, finding clothes, diaper and food. If your not sure look in the phone book or contact your local DHHR. This is a very scary time for her, it's good she has your help. Even the couple weeks she can stay with you will possibly give her time to help make up her mind.

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 9:22 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Thank you all for the answers, they really do help. She is scared. She wants to keep the baby because she feels that adoption is going to be to hard on her emotionally and an abortion is out of the question. I am going to look into everything that was suggested and see what can be done to help her out. Thank you again.
    Kat1990

Comment by Kat1990 (original poster) at 9:32 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Is the baby's daddy willing to help out, or has he totally flaked? I say if u love ur sister enough, what I would do in this situation, is make room for her, make it work, she's ur blood! Wouldn't u want her to do the same for u? Think of how scared she must be! I say take her and the baby in and just roll with the punches until u can figure out a better solution! The whole shelter idea sickens me, I'm sure they are very kind and friendly there, but the idea of a GIRL raising her baby in a shelter, when she has family is awful! Also remember, we all make mistakes, especially at that age and it's always so nice to have someone by ur side to help u off ur feet and dust u off! What r sisters for?
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 11:36 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• The baby's daddy doesn't want anything to do with her or the baby. He told her that he wants nothing to do with her unless she has an abortion. She is staying with me in definitely. :) I can't see her going to stay anywhere else.
    Kat1990

Comment by Kat1990 (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Jun. 5, 2011