How long is maternity leave?

My DH's ex has told her mother she's on maternity leave. She told my SD that she was going to stop working. I'm curious how long maternity leave is? She's been out of work for just over 2 months now.

I'm asking because for child support reasons--wanting to see if I should get everything together for DH in the event she tries to increase based on her choice not to work (he'd ask to have her wages imputed since she's chosing not to work...but we know if she isn't working, she'll try).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Jun. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• depends on the company, but fmla is a guaranteed six weeks period that they can't fire you during. i think.
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 9:23 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Child support is based on his income not if the mom is working or not working. It will be like 25% of his gross income.
    And last I heard leave is 9 weeks.
    Although, I stayed home with mine for the first 18 months. Putting my newborn in someone else care, wasn't going to happen. At 18 months they started pre-school.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 9:23 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Mine is 6-12 weeks. My ex chose not to work and CS was cut in half, plus I now have to provide insurance at no cost to him(over $100 a month for me). Good Luck! What a crock this is.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 9:29 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• It totally depends on where you are. In Ontario, you are eligible for 52 weeks. I would google your state and maternity leave and see what comes up.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 9:33 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• In the state DH deals with, it is based on BOTH their incomes, as well as the time each has my SD, not just a certain percent of his income (since BOTH parents should support their children, it's a time share formula). So her not working does affect our CS.

Thanks to those who answered the question. I had heard it was around 6 weeks. She works at a school, so she will be out til atleast September (when school starts back up) before we will know for sure, since schools are ending this week.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:36 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• It depends where she lives... I am in Canada and you are entitled to up to 15 weeks sick leave if your dr/midwife feels the need to take you off work early, and then you are given a year of maternity leave at 55% of your pay.
    MommaRoxanne

Answer by MommaRoxanne at 9:50 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• It is one month before you have your baby and about 2 months after you have your baby but their is also family leave after that
    roxy0522

Answer by roxy0522 at 10:19 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Thanks ladies! It looks like it can vary a lot! I'll try to see what I can find on it :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:28 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• depends on who you work for and they should tell you how much time you have usually the time is 6-8 weeks
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 2:56 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I left work a week before DS was born in November and went back on March 22. Every company is different.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 10:12 AM on Jun. 6, 2011