bottle to bed. (please dont bash me)

Ok, so my baby just turned one and he takes a bottle to bed. It is like a security blanket and CIO does not work for him, he cries until he throws up or hyperventilates. He falls asleep with it and i take it away and make sure I brush his teeth asap when he wakes up (I know this isnt helping much) I was wondering if it would be not as bad on his teeth to water his milk down gradually until it was purely water? has anyone tried this? I tried just water and he would not drink it. We are in the process of weaning off the bottle entirely but I need some suggestions, not bashing , in the mean time.

rockmom346

Asked by rockmom346 at 1:51 AM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try doing water all together...Never water down milk..
    try sippy cup with water. insted of the bottle.
    some kids just have to have the bottle out of the pic all together to get over it. Yes 2-3 nights will be really rough. but it helps.
    Each kid is diff. so thats all i know that would.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 1:54 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• If you have a toddler going to bet with a bottle, this can be dangerous. Your child could choke in his/her sleep. Thank God that hasn't happened. Also the child is screaming because he/she knows you will give in. I know this sounds mean, but I am not trying to be mean. Keep in mind I am answering you to help you. The only way he will give up the bottle is you take it away. Explain before you put child in bed. " You are a big boy ( example) and you need a big boy cup."Will cry first tow days as if dying. After third day it gets better. No matter what don't give it. Give child a cup of water. More than likely the child wil throw it on the floor, get mad and go to sleep. Don't replace bottle with a pacifier if he/she isn't on one. That is another problem for you later. Don't give a bottle in the daytime either. Give child a cup. !
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 2:22 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I always gave my one year old a bottle for bed. I did not wean until she was 2. I think there is much residual psychological issue from taking comforts away from babies too soon. Of course, this is JMO.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 3:41 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• My son was off his bottle by his 1st Birthday, but I still allowed him to take a sippy cup to bed with him. As you stated it is a security blanket somewhat for them, but what I do even now & my son will be 2 at the end of this month. I allow him to take his sippy to bed with him & after he falls asleep I go get his sippy cup & replace it with a water cup.

~*~Holli~*~
    MsWood729

Answer by MsWood729 at 8:11 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I would water down the milk till it was just water. That is what I did with my son.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:44 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• one day i had to say to hell with it...had 3 nights of pure hell and after that she now takes a sippy with water to bed...sucks for staying dry at night though lol so if i had to do it over agian...and i am with my son...theres no drink to bed.
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 8:54 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• GIVE THE BOTTLE TO SANTA. We gave our bottles to the easter bunny and he never asked for it again. Then give him sippy cups only
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Ok..so like I said to all the people who suggest CIO, it does not work, He throws up all over everything, or acts like he is having a panic attack.. What am I supposed to do? leave him in his puke or let him pass himself out? I dont think so. I have been trying to CIO since he was around seven months old. Those are the two outcomes. We even had one night where he cried from 8 pm until 6 thirty a.m, and he did not give up. As for things like "give your bottle to santa" or telling him he is a big boy, he just turned one a week ago and doesnt really understand any of that. The only time he takes a bottle is at night. As for the sippy cup thing, which ones do you use? which kind doesnt leak? any suggestions for that?
    rockmom346

Answer by rockmom346 at 8:49 PM on Dec. 10, 2008