What do you look for in a car for your teen?

I am wondering what other moms look for in cars for their teenagers? I know it is easy enough to go buy a cheap car and throw them in it and hope for the best. After all when we were young it isnt like we had air bags (most of us anyway lol) or anything like that. But now things have changed.
My son bought himself a 1984 camaro with T-tops and no airbags. Thankfully he was never able to get it on the road. I was pretty nervous about him driving that if it came to that. But he had bought it with his own money so I was proud about that atleast. He sold the camaro and I bought him a 2000 Dodge Neon with air bags and all of that. It has an alarm and everything since he works at McDonalds that way he knows the car wont be messed with. Air bags and the car being as my mom says from the "right century" was important to us.
What do you look for? And please no bashing on how you make your child buy his own car. I am not asking that. Mine had bought his own but obviously didnt have much sense when he did.

Asked by gemgem at 9:35 AM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Our son will be driving a jeep cherokee on 37 inch tires. It has been completely rebuilt to go rock crawling in. It has 2 fire extinguishers, massive suspension, an ARB bumber, a full steel bumper in the rear, 2 front airbags, and will have a full exo cage (roll cage) when he's ready to get in and drive. My Hubby and our son built it together. He will have a suit of armor by the time he's able to drive it (1 yr from now). Our son has been driving around our place for the past couple years, and when we go out rock crawling in it, he gets to practice a little. He's learned to have respect for vehicles. IMO a small car equals disaster. I owned a dodge neon yrs ago, and it was horrible in the rain and snow because it was so light. I would recommend something with a little more weight, and protection. I would agree with jorjiegirl, an explorer, or something of that nature would be a great first vehicle.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:37 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• It has to have airbags! Also alot of leg room! My son is really tall!! He is being trained on my minivan!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:38 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• My daughter is only 5, so no car in her immediate future, but it will also need to at the very least have driver/passenger airbags. Also, for where we live, she will need a 4WD or AWD.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:50 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• i look for a meaty lol vehicle..I dont want something that will crumple up like a tin can..reason being bc teens have a tendency to make mistakes..I sure did and I drove an explorer it saved my life..I had an older car when I first started out and loved it! I suppose it all depends on who you are and your prefrences
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 10:06 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• lol dancer my dd trained on my van and couldnt reach the peddles

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 9:40 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• We dont get alot of snow here so I am not too worried about weather wise there. He is actually saving to buy himself a jeep, although not a cherokoee just a regular jeep he can take to college with him.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 10:46 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• sorry you didnt read the whole post where it says

"And please no bashing on how you make your child buy his own car. I am not asking that"

I wasnt asking opinions of people who dont believe their dont deserve cars, but of people who realize they do, but thanks for the answer.

Comment by gemgem (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Teens don't need cars, unless they can afford their own insurance, gas, maintenance and (of course) a car.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:10 AM on Jun. 5, 2011