Why does the X in X-mas offend some Christians?

Seriously. I have seen this all over the place on here lately. Do you not know your own history?

X=the Greek letter CHI...its the first letter in the name of Christos (Christ) in Greek. Ever seen the P with the X thru the bottom of it and wondered , "WTF?" Its because CHI and P--the greek letter RHO, were signs used by early Christians to let others know of meeting places and so forth.

So why the "ZOMG, they are trying to X out the Christ in Christmas!!!", are you really offended by a legitimate substitution brought to you by your own religion's history that saves on advertizing space?

thalassa

Asked by thalassa at 1:59 AM on Dec. 10, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• It seems like many of you can't read. As explained, writing X-mas does not take Christ out of the equation. Let's repeat: "X=the Greek letter CHI...its the first letter in the name of Christos (Christ) in Greek. Ever seen the P with the X thru the bottom of it and wondered , "WTF?" Its because CHI and P--the greek letter RHO, were signs used by early Christians to let others know of meeting places and so forth. "

So there's no reason to be offended. Even for those who are lazy and just write x-mas, they are still including Christ in there. It is simply shortened.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 7:21 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• i say x-mas..its shorter..plus jesus wasnt born in DEC...infact in the summer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• It dosen't matter when he was born as along as we aknowledge He was born.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 2:03 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I do it because I am not Christian. I celebrate the holiday for the seasonal celebration it is and NOT for Jesus' birthday (as YES, this is completely untrue anyway)
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 2:07 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• i cele. my birthday on my BIRTHDAY. so why not whe we are expose to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• ty mamma.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 2:08 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• because to acknowledge that truth detracts from the whole "oh, noes, war on christmas!" delusion that issues straight from the rectum of O'Reilly.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:22 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• IT MAKES ME MAD IT TAKES CHRIST OUT OF IT THAT IS WRONG IT 'S LIKE IT'S THE ONLY HOLIDAY THAT IS SHORTENED IT'S STUPID TO SAY XMAS  WOULD YOU SAY  "HAPPY  YEAR " OR HAPPY NEW YEAR ???

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:08 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I guess you missed the rest of my question there anon...

X=the Greek letter CHI...its the first letter in the name of Christos (Christ) in Greek...it is an accepted substitution for the word Christ in your own religions history...
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 4:14 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• because its not X mas its CHRISTmas!!!!!!!!!!!
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 4:39 AM on Dec. 10, 2008