Pitbulls

I am one of THOSE pit bull owners that thinks my pit, Jack, would never harm another living soul. In fact he is the sweetest most docile dog I have ever had. I have had him hide under my skirt when a car backfired and he has let me take chicken bones out of his mouth without any kind of complaint. Is this nature vs. nurture? I don't know, But I HATE it when he gets lumped in with the ideas of vicious pits. I have a baby. Because of the nature of the breed (turning unexpectedly) I do not allow them in the same room together alone. Once a day or so, I hold my baby and slowly let them get to know each other. Ya know why? I am realistic. I think people are too quick to judge these great dogs and I think owners need to not be in denial if they are going to own this type of breed. What do you think?

ochsamom

Asked by ochsamom at 10:08 AM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Pets

• I have had a pit for 8 yrs and have 3children,my xhusband got her when my oldest was only 6months old and I was a little worried about it at first but she has proven to me over the last 8yrs that's its in the ways dogs are raised not the breed. My children play with hr pull on her nipples ride her like a horse dress her in their clothes and not once has she shown agression to them or anyone else. I'm actually worried that if someone was to break in shed greet them with a big lick. So I agree to be cautious but if u go it as a pup and raise it around ur child you shouldn't have a problem
    lisaHJ

Answer by lisaHJ at 11:18 PM on Jun. 7, 2011

• i think it depends on how a dog was raised.. my sister had 2 pitts. my mom has one right now. and i have one at my house.. there is nothing wrong with any breed of dog.. its the people that raise them
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 10:10 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• No problem with pits here. My son owns one and up until around a month ago she lived with us. Like yours she was pretty docile but she barked alot which just got on my nerves lol. People would act like I had a dinosaur in my yard and ask omg is she going to bite me? I was like no shes more apt to lick you to death though. I think some pits can be bad, but its because the owners are bad and train the dogs to be bad, or dont train the dogs at all. I had a bit of a problem with Kiki that way. She was actually abandoned on our farm so we had to work with her alot she was a puppy and into everything. But I agree people lump all dogs into the same pile and are unrealistic when they own one. But you know what> My shihtzu but my grandkids, and shes 10 lbs. Dogs are dogs any of them can bite or do bad things.

Answer by gemgem at 10:11 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I was once a pit owner and my neighbor has about 5 now..mine were very well behaved..and my neighbors are too..I never had an issue with mine being rude or out of the way to anyone..I trusted them with my sd when she was around 5 and never had any issues..its all about how they are raised
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 10:14 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• AMEN! I agree! I have a pit & a 2 year old and a newborn. I leave him alone in the room with them. He is the sweetest dog! In fact, he got attached by my sister-in-laws lab and he ran and hid under the table whining. If he's chewing on a bone & my 2 year old comes to take it away from him, he will let her have it. He doesn't mind if she's in his face while he's eating his food. He lets her climb all over him and doesn't care. One time she bit his tale (she got a spanking) for no reason & he just yelped and ran and hid. The only "mean" part of him is whenever someone comes over, he gets so excited & his tale starts wagging and he jumps up on people 'cause he is so excited to see them. I hate how people judge too, but my pit is one of the sweetest dogs ever. My 2 year old has been bit by a chihuahua.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 10:45 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Anon, what about those families that had dogs before they had kids? I'm sorry, but my dogs were in my home before my daughters were. We had them for 2 years before we had her. I think it would have been unfair to them (and us) to just get rid of them because suddenly there's a baby in the house. They're part of the family. She's almost 5 now, and we have another baby on the way. Again, not getting rid of the dogs, who are part of the family, and have been with us for 7 years now. They did fine with DD when she was little, they'll do fine with the new one. As a responsible dog owner, I understand that the kids don't understand how the dogs will react, so that's why the dogs aren't left alone in the same room. They are always supervised. My daughter was also taught at a young age about the dog's boundaries. Gentle touches, and you don't bother them while they're sleeping or on their beds. The next child will be taught the same.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 11:03 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• My mom had 2 wonderful male pitbulls, from puppy till their death....they NEVER harmed a hair on anyone !! In fact my sister lived with them through her preg and till my niece was almost 4 and she (my niece) could do ANYTHING to them and they would just lay there, she rode them like a horse, pulled and pushed them around,and they just laid there. They were part of the family. Now my mom got a new pit and we have a 10week old pit, and both of them are the same way. My mom has cancer and her pit is so helpful to her, he loves her and you can tell he knows she is sick and wants to be there for her. Our son is 20 months old and he is learning how to have animals, he has another dog that is almost a year old, that is a corgi/chiuachiua(sp?) and the pit, both dogs let him do most anything to them and not bite or scratch. We do watch very closely and would never leave him with them unattended. It is all in the way they are raised.
    giggls2hrd

Answer by giggls2hrd at 3:29 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I love pitts too. but you are right, but i doubt yours would ever hurt anyone, you have raised him right. I think alot of people do not understand that any breed of dog can attack someone but usually you onlt hear about the pitt bull stories.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:15 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• ANY dog can turn on someone not just pitts....I was a pitt owner for many years and raised them, I never had any problems with them and I think they are GREAT dogs! I just read an article about pitts in history, they were considers "nanny" dogs and many families had them to help watch over their children. I only had 1 child when I raised pitts but I never worried about them and him being alone around each other.

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 10:26 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• All of the pits I've ever experienced have been incredibly sweet. I've even heard cases where pits have been used as therapy dogs. (I think Good morning America did a piece on this, which I thought was awesome.) I agree with you, Pits get a bad wrap! I also think that ANY dog can be unpredictable, and for that matter shouldn't be left alone with young children. My parents had a mutt when I was growing up. I think he was a lab/shepherd who might have had a few other things mixed in there. Anyway, sweetest dog in the world, loved us kids to death, used to let us use him as a pillow. But one day, he was sleeping under my sister's crib, she crawled under and startled him, and he snapped and bit her face. I think that any dog owner should be aware, and teach the children about boundaries with the dog as well as teaching the dog to be easy with the kids.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 10:48 AM on Jun. 5, 2011