My nieces and nephews spent the weekend with us ages 6months -13yrs old (6kids)

I love my nieces and nephews and they always ask to spend the weekend with me. My dd is 4 so she enjoys the company of her cousins. well.. We live in a condo above others. For the most part the condos are concealed well so you can not hear others and vice versa. Having all those kids was a nightmare. I went to pickk them up and they just handed the baby to me and said he's coming to. I did not want to say no since they had the baby ready. In my home the kidsage 6, 8, 9 were all MESSY even my dd was getting fustrated the spilled my dd's toys all over the family room and dds room. They took all her books ans put them all over the place. My dd would shout stop making a mess and we'd clean up and they would do it all over again. The older ones 12, 13 was no prob at all but the little ones were. The baby screamed all night, no cry but scream! I love them but cant accept this. My daughter has a lounge chaise in her room and the younger girls just kept picking it up and throwing it to the ground. I would come in the room and tell them stop and as soon as I leave they would do it. I have snack cupboard and one the last visit I told them they can have anythng but just ask. I woke up this morning with all of my dd's snacks done and they just eat and put the wrappers on the floor NEXT to the trash bin. The funny thing is at their own house they are well behaved kids. My poor DH couldnt wait for them to go home. He just dropped them home because we have a party to go to.

I dont want to say no to them coming but dont want them coming if they will not behave and listen. I want to the tell their parents but dont want to... I really dont know what to do.

My house was a mess and I just dont like that. They are DH's sisters kids and dont want it to seem as if I dont want them there because they are in laws. When my family comes it is such a calm atmosphere and completely different.

any help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jun. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Just say having that many kids in one condo was too much, and that next time you'll only take 1 or 2 at a time.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 10:40 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I would tell them next time they suggest coming over what the issues are and tell them that you do not tolerate that in your home. I'd tell them if they can follow the rules of your house they can come, just like they do at school, it's different rules than home. If they agree and come over and there are problems, as they occur I would remind them they agreed and tell them that if they don't follow the rules, it will be the last time they are at your house.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:40 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I would tell them that you love the children but that seven kids at one time is just to much to handle. Then ask if it would be ok if they spent the night just one or two at a time. That way you are not overwelmed and can do more fun things with fewer kids to entertain.
    jen699

Answer by jen699 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Honestly,I would sit them down next visit and explain to them that if you have to ask them to not "throw books on the floor, drop furniture or throw trash on the floor" that you will pack them up and drive them home. I would also tell their parents how they behaved and that is what will happen if they misbehave again! Would you tolerate this behavior from your own children? Then don't accept it from others! Don't be afraid to set those boundaries!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 4:56 PM on Jun. 8, 2011