Dr. Death takes a Holiday: Jack Kevorkian joins his Patients

http://www.orangejuiceblog.com/2011/06/dr-death-takes-a-holiday-jack-kevorkian-joins-his-patients/

Dr K has died. That is a great well balanced good bye to Dr. Death.

What are your views on Dr. Kevorkian?

What are your views on Doctor assisted suicide?

ochsamom

Asked by ochsamom at 10:39 AM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Health

• Doctors should assist terminal patients. If we can allow animals to die with dignity, we should allow humans.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:40 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I completely agree with what Ginger said. How messed up is it that we will put "Fluffy" to sleep so she won't live in severe pain in her final days yet our 98 year old grandmothers will a terminal illness has to suffer even though she wants to die? I think there should be proper procedures for doctor assisted death but it should be legal.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:45 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Wow I didnt know he was still alive. I am against assisted suicides except in certain cases. The problem with him was there were times people believed to have changed their minds and he still went on with the assisted suicide. At that point it becomes murder. If someone is truly wanting to die I believe they will find a way to take themselves out of their misery without help from someone else. We arent there in the last moments and I just wouldnt want someone assisting me for instance then me saying never mind I changed my mind and they just continued. Hope that makes sense.

Answer by gemgem at 10:50 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Oh anf fluffy never asked to die we just put them down because we believe it is humane.

• Oregon has the right idea - they allow the doctors to give the patients medication that will end their lives, but they won't administer it themselves. People who are already in pain and suffering shouldn't have to choose a method to end their lives that will create further pain and suffering.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:53 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Gem...I think you might be mistaken in a few spots. Some got scared in the last moment, but never wanted to stop. Some people need assistance because they cannot physically kill themselves, by themselves. Some needed a clean, painless, quick way to go to lessen their family's sorrow. OH and Fluffy didn't ask, because he cannot talk. Humane is the key word here.

ochsamom

Comment by ochsamom (original poster) at 10:56 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I am for assisted suicide. Terminally ill patients know when they are ready to go and sometimes there isn't enough morphine in the world to keep the pain at bay. If they are done suffering... let them be done suffering!
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 11:24 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I believe, as long as it is the patience wants, not the family, or friends, then they should be able to die with dignity. My husband gma passed away a little over 2 years ago. Her body shut down, she lost all kidney function, refused to eat, and wouldn't allow hospice to put a feeding tube in. She asked to die, and she ended up starving to death 3 weeks after it had all started. What a horrible way to die!! That poor fragile woman deserved to be able to go how she wanted to.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:49 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I believe if you have exhausted all options and there is absolutely nothing that will save you then by all means if you choose to leave peacefully then assissted suicide should be made legally available.
    DDWay

Answer by DDWay at 11:49 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I watched my grandfather wither away in front of my eyes for 3 years. I watched him turn into a skeleton, loose the spark ihis eye, and be in immense pain and suffering. He wanted to die at home, peacefully. His body was dying, but he was still all there. Eveyday he died a little more, and so did I. And if there was a legal way he could have ended his suffering, I would have been all for it. His quality of life was awful, and his soul was ready to move on, and his body just kept it in like a painful prison. It was torture for all of us. So I believe there should be a legal, and regulated way in which a person, that is terminally ill, can end their life with dignity, grace and peace.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 1:27 PM on Jun. 5, 2011