I need some advice on my x mother-in-law

I just found out that my x's mom just lost her job and has to put her condo up for short sale. The kicker? She may be moving in with him here. I can't stand this woman and I don't trust her with my son ever since he was a baby. He's 6 now. She's inconsiderate (would show up on our doorstep at 4 a.m.) she is more concerned about being on the phone or flirting with men than taking care of my son if he's with her. It makes me very nervous. She's always late if she's picking him up or dropping him off. This was just for a couple of visits not even full time. So my x said it would help me out with after school care but I definitely would rather pay than to worry about him being with her. I certainly don't want to see her every day to pick him up from her. I didn't divorce him to spend more time with his family. I'm going to tell him I don't want her to get him all the time but he won't stand up to her. The only thing I can think of is telling the school this woman is only allowed to pick up my son on wednesdays which is his dad's day anyway. Any suggestions on how to handle this?

amotherof1

Asked by amotherof1 at 10:39 AM on Jun. 5, 2011 in Relationships

• Sounds like you have a good plan. As a grandparent we are not entitled to extra visits, or any at all unless agreed upon by the parents. Since your ex only has Wednesday then that should be it. You can't help what your ex does with your son while on visits with him, but if she's neglectful I wouldn't let him go with her on your time.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:43 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Sounds like a good plan to me. She isnt in your court order as far as visits go and if he insists then tell him you will just go back to court and explain this woman who by all accounts is unfit to care for a gerbil is trying to pick your son up and he is fine with it. That should change his tune.

Answer by gemgem at 10:52 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I would tell the school she is not allowed to pick him up at all. If she is that bad, she shouldnt be in charge of the child.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 10:52 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Why do you still leave with your ex?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• leave with my x? do you mean live? I don't live with my x but he lives about 5 minutes from me.
    amotherof1

Comment by amotherof1 (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I think your plan sounds great, and livable
    stacy8606

Answer by stacy8606 at 1:32 PM on Jun. 5, 2011